We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Highlights Feb 9-16

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
oshkosh
reviews: 1
Trip Report Highlights Feb 9-16

5th trip to the Island. Arrived RTB Saturday. Took a taxi to WE via Plaza Del Mar.$20 taxi and $10 tip for the 4 of us total. Had a place rented for the week in WE, but I can't tell you where because it's a secret we don't want to lose.Walked into town, had dinner at Carribean Blues. Good food, fierce bugs.

Sunday: Water taxi to WB $3 or 50lps ea. Snorkeled out from the wall in front of Grand Roatan beach bar. Lunch at Bananarama, good as usual. Another snorkel then water taxi back to WE. Dinner at The Barking Monkey, good food.

Monday: Bought frozen lobster $10 lb and shrimp $5 lb from the guy on the pulic beach in WE. We also had a doughnut from the doughnut guy. I've seen the posts, but he was there and I wanted a doughnut, done deal. Took a snorkel trip with Reef Gliders. We've used them in the past and they've always been good. Dinner was grilled lobster at our place.

Tuesday: Walked to El Rancho Barrio Dorcas just east of town for horseback riding. What a hoot! Patrick treated us to an awesome ride, some road riding, some off road and some (if you want) fast beach riding.$40 pp. Took a taxi to Blue Bahia. It was a surprise birthday lunch for me, set up via e-mail by my better half. Lisa the owner and our server Randy were Great and the food was outstanding! Especially the birthday cheesecake. Taxi back to WE $10/4.

Wednesday:Water taxi to WB. snorkeled then had a terrible lunch at Cayuco beach retaurant. Told our server the food was cold and the bread was dried out. He said "oh" and handed us our bills. Oh well.Snorkeled again then back to WE for our own shrimp.

Thursday: Snorkeled WB again. Met a local young man on the water taxi ride back. We took a chance and set up a snorkel day trip with him for the next day $50 pp.Gave him a $20 deposit. Ate street food from the guy set up on the main street that makes 3 tacos or 1 Quesadilla for 100lps. Nice guy,very apprecitive and good food.

Friday: Walked to the dock at 7:00 hoping our guy would show up. He did, along with a friend to help and his 11 year old nephew and what a blast we had. He took us to 2 different snorkle spots, then a trip thru the mangroves,past some awesome houses then to a ship wreck to snorkle around. He was always in the water with us pointing out things and was very concerned with the reef. From there we went to Palmetto Bay resort for lunch. On the way back he put out a couple fishing poles a caught a very nice wahoo. He dropped us back at our dock at 3:00. A whole day of fun sun and snorkling for $50 ea. His name is John Ebank and he can be reached at junior.john41 @yahoo.com or ask for him. Dinner was at La Pizzeria. Pizza was a good value but the pasta was a little lacking.

Saturday: Have to leave. Sad day as usual. Taxi to the airport . EZ no hassles. Nice improvements under way. Planning for next year!

Lousiana
reviews: 6
1. Re: Trip Report Highlights Feb 9-16

Awesome post I will be contacting the snorkel guy

How many can go on his boat?

menlo park, ca
reviews: 66
2. Re: Trip Report Highlights Feb 9-16

Leaving West End to go snorkel? Sort of like leaving Paris for dinner. Oh well, sounds like you had a glorious time. Thanks for sharing.

oshkosh
reviews: 1
3. Re: Trip Report Highlights Feb 9-16

Johns boat seems a bit longer than most of the taxi boats. Check with him on how many he can take, but I don't think more than 5 or 6 would be comfortable. As for leaving WE to snorkel, after 5 trips, I'm wide open for suggestions on any neat places to try. I have found that the farther from civilization, the better the reef and coral. WB is just convenient with great structure.

4. Re: Trip Report Highlights Feb 9-16

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 21, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Roatan