We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do residents of Roatan....

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
philadelphia
Do residents of Roatan....

take malaria drugs?

Butler, Pennsylvania
1. Re: Do residents of Roatan....

No expats that I met took the drugs...some laughed at the idea...I did take the drugs though

menlo park, ca
reviews: 57
2. Re: Do residents of Roatan....

tom, do you count these expats among your smarter friends? Malaria is no laughing matter. Malaria exists in Roatan, and you and I both probably know people who have contacted it. The medicine gives 100% protection against the disease. I hope a few of them secretly take the medicine but won't admit that they are afraid of a little mosquito.

roatan
reviews: 3
3. Re: Do residents of Roatan....

I believe not many do because we have weighed the long term effects of taking the meds all year long. Some of us are very careful though.

It's always a personal choice.

Bonnie

philadelphia
4. Re: Do residents of Roatan....

Bonnie, thank you and I agree it is a personal choice, so that being said, does being careful mean constant bug spray and what other suggestions? I know your not a doctor---I am only asking for your honest opinion. Thank you

Butler, Pennsylvania
5. Re: Do residents of Roatan....

I would say most seemed reasonably intelligent and had made a personal risk assessment that determined the drugs weren't necessary for one reason or the other.

Like I said I took them. But I also didn't see a single mesquito while I was there...was that because of the fog of deet that surrounded me, perhaps.

roatan
reviews: 3
6. Re: Do residents of Roatan....

There are times when the mosquitoes are very hungry and other times not so much. We use bug spray and cover up when we need to. The negative effects of taking anti-malaria's over the long term, for those of us who live here full time, outweigh the other options that we choose. Dengue can also be a problem here but the same preventative measures work well for us. We only need to spray in the evening usually but we live with a lovely breeze most of the time and that helps.

We also spray the property and are very careful about standing water etc.

Since the question posed was for residents I answered from a personal perspective.

So far we've been malaria free and we've been here full time for 7 years.

Cheers for many more malaria free years!

Bonnie

I wander the world
reviews: 20
7. Re: Do residents of Roatan....

Bonnie...well done indeed. Thanks for sharing!

philadelphia
8. Re: Do residents of Roatan....

Thank you all for your honesty. I have been so back and forth as to what I should do. All of your posts have been very helpful!

9. Re: Do residents of Roatan....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 pm, February 10, 2013
Sudbury, Canada
reviews: 6
10. Re: Do residents of Roatan....

Secondhalf what is your doctor's recommendation or are you trusting your health to a few residents here?? I have talked to locals there who have had malaria as well as their kids. If you like to gamble and feel lucky then don't take the meds.