We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roatan after Machu Picchu / Cusco - Proof of vax required?

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 3
Roatan after Machu Picchu / Cusco - Proof of vax required?

We are coming to Roatan after visiting Cusco and Machu Picchu. We fly Cusco > Lima > El Salvador > Roatan. We are not staying in El Salvador, just catching a connecting flight.

According to the CDC website Peru is on the list of countries at risk for Yellow Fever and thus proof of vaccination would be required to enter Honduras. However, the WHO table notes (in a footnote) that Lima, Cusco and Machu Picchu are specifically NOT at risk. We're not going to any at risk areas so I don't want to get this shot for no reason.

We can print out the CDC information and bring it with us but is there any risk of being denied entry into Roatan?

How can I find this out so we don't leave it to chance?

Roatan, Honduras
reviews: 7
1. Re: Roatan after Machu Picchu / Cusco - Proof of vax required?

It's normally the airlines that enforce this policy, and will deny people boarding if they don't have the vaccine- I know of 2 separate situations of people coming from South America (can't remember exactly where they were coming from) who were turned away because they didn't have their proof of vaccination with them. I would suggest checking with the airlines that you are flying with to make sure it won't be an issue.

Toronto, Canada
2. Re: Roatan after Machu Picchu / Cusco - Proof of vax required?

Thanks for your feedback. It looks like we'll have to get the shot. The Honduran consulate in Canada assures us that this is not necessary but it seems to be common practice for TACA to enforce this even when the consulate has a more moderate stance.

Frustrating to get a shot we don't need (with 25% chance of fever and other adverse reactions) but not worth the risk of ruining our trip. I am finding way too many stories on the web of people getting the shot in Lima airport at the behest of airline staff with 'backdated' paperwork provided for a fee. Ugh!

Tegucigalpa...
3. Re: Roatan after Machu Picchu / Cusco - Proof of vax required?

Actually the shot is asked for anyone visiting from South American countries, even though you may have not been on a risk area. The document on vaccines and which countries constitute a risk factor is in process of been ammended, when I have the final copy I will be able to tell you if Peru is no longer in the list.

Anyways, the shot is good for 10 years so keep your proof with you and dont loose it

Source: work in the industry.

Have fun,

Toronto, Canada
4. Re: Roatan after Machu Picchu / Cusco - Proof of vax required?

Just bumping this back up to say we went to a highly regarded travel physician who agreed with the consulate that we absolutely do NOT need the shots. He gave us an official waiver, yellow card with official seal and signature so hopefully that will suffice. I'm a little nervous about it but he said none of his patients have had problems going this route.

Tegucigalpa...
5. Re: Roatan after Machu Picchu / Cusco - Proof of vax required?

Thanks for the update, please do update this after your trip to confirm what your physician said and also about the trip itself

Have fun!

6. Re: Roatan after Machu Picchu / Cusco - Proof of vax required?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 15, 2013