We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mi Casa, house in West End, anyone stay there?

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dawson, Canada
Mi Casa, house in West End, anyone stay there?

I don't see this accommodation listed here on TA. It seems nice and it gets good reviews elsewhere. But it seems suspiciously inexpensive. What is the catch? Has anyone stayed there or does anyone know it?

Thanks

Mindy

menlo park, ca
reviews: 69
1. Re: Mi Casa, house in West End, anyone stay there?

you are right that the house does seem quite reasonably priced, especially for one which seems well designed. But it may be that the owner thinks it's better for her to keep the place rented and earning money than to price it higher at the market and let it sit empty for weeks or months.

I have not seen it, but a few observations about the area. It sits in jungle on the hillside, which involves climbing to reach it. It may not have water view. The waterfront at the end of its street is all dock and no beach. so you'd have a hike to a beach. The door and windows appear to have screens, which is great. But I'm suspicious that the beds have netting, as though bugs are a problem.

Dawson, Canada
2. Re: Mi Casa, house in West End, anyone stay there?

Thank you for your reply. It is so hard to judge these things from afar.

I am not overly concerned with view, as the shady jungle seems appealing in the hot climate, as do the hammocks. But I do have two small children, 2 and 4, so when you say climb, are you talking a two minute walk up a hill or a majorly inconvenient slog uphill?

And when you say hike to a beach, again, do you mean a major hike, or how many minutes of walking? It is hard for me to get perspective on the distance of things, even with these satellite maps.

Again, I appreciate any input!

Mindy

I wander the world
reviews: 21
3. Re: Mi Casa, house in West End, anyone stay there?

These reviews may be of some help. The ones I read say the hill is a few minutes to five minutes to shops, this would mean the hill is about that. I have not walked the whole hill in question but I know where it is, I was back there one day in pouring rain, it was a challenge that day.

www.roatan-vacation-rental.com/…

Half Moon Bay is the main beach in West End... it may be an additional 10 min walk from the bottom of the hill. Or you can walk across the road, hop a water taxi and be in West Bay.

By the by the road in West End is flat.

If there is little or no breeze on the hill, the shade may well attract many a bug.

You are right the price is appealing as are the reviews.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 12
4. Re: Mi Casa, house in West End, anyone stay there?

Hi Mindy - just a caution on the bugs - they can be a problem at the best if times and with two small children I would really think twice about a house where this could be an issue. Also although it may be shady if there is no breeze it could be a challenge. With little ones I'd look for something with easy beach access.

Minneapolis...
reviews: 103
5. Re: Mi Casa, house in West End, anyone stay there?

Our friends were at IB with their 2 year old. Though they all enjoyed the beach, the kid really liked the big pool the best. The ocean can be a bit intimidating. I, too, would look for a place on the beach... and a pool would make it even better. Some of the developments with condo or cottage type rentals also share pools...

Dawson, Canada
6. Re: Mi Casa, house in West End, anyone stay there?

Once again many thanks for your input. I guess I am desperately hoping this could be "the" place. I can't find anything that remotely comes close in price. Because of the more costly airfare (compared to Mexico) I thought maybe I could find accommodation that is a little less expensive. And I really don't want to go back to Mexico, but our choices are limited with the kids being so little. Y'know? Snorkeling from the beach is appealing for the older child, and the little guy really just needs sand, so Roatan seemed like a perfect choice. But....maybe not.

I'll keep looking and keep Mi Casa on the back burner for a couple weeks. And maybe someone who has stayed there will reply here in the meantime!

Cheers

Mindy

Minneapolis...
reviews: 103
7. Re: Mi Casa, house in West End, anyone stay there?

don't want to discourage you... I just think you'd be happier closer to the shore... schlepping those two kids up and down some of Roatan's hills to the houses located up above wouldn't be fun without a rental car - a big expense that is easily prevented by choosing a convenient location.

look at

http://www.sundancercabanas.com/

http://www.roatanbeachfront.com/

(two different agents for the Sundancer community, different cabanas rented by each) Sundancer is rustic and some of the units are less expensive than others... but they have a small pool, good ocean access... beach is good for walking, though not the fine white sand of West Bay)

and these looked pretty nice - Bamboo House is $800 a week...

roatanpropertymanagement.com/images_sanctuar… I would think the proximity to the dolphin pens and lots of dolphin activity would be a gas for kids...

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 33
8. Re: Mi Casa, house in West End, anyone stay there?

www.coconuttreecabins.com/west_bay_cabins

On a great area of West Bay Beach just next to Fosters, perfect spot for kids to play in sand and splash in the water / swim.

Pretty decent prices...even the cabins in back are literally steps to the beach. Its not "luxe", but it appears very clean & staff seems very friendly. My daughter and friends used their facilities when on Roatan for the day from a cruise ship. They went over and above to be helpful.

Mr Idiot gave some great info. to look at as well.

Dawson, Canada
9. Re: Mi Casa, house in West End, anyone stay there?

Thank you again so much for responding. This is what I need to hear! The mere mention of schlepping the kidlets up the hill is a big turn off. If this is the case I will likely decline. These links are what I needed and have renewed my hope! We really don't require much, nothing extravagant. And some of these places might do it.

Much gratitude!

Mindy

Dubuque, Iowa
reviews: 8
10. Re: Mi Casa, house in West End, anyone stay there?

Not sure what your budget is but I received an email last week that Infinity Bay is running a special right now and a studio would be 79.60$ per night. Might be worth checking out.

Get answers to your questions about Roatan