We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roatan Airport Wouldn't Allow Fishing Rod Carry On

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
reviews: 15
Roatan Airport Wouldn't Allow Fishing Rod Carry On

Just an FYI. I flew in with my 4 piece fly rod in my backpack in a rod tube. On the outbound flight from Roatan security would not let me take it on, had to go back to the counter and check it. I discussed this with the head of security and he went and got the regulation book showing me that indeed fishing rods are prohibited. Strangely enough the person in the seat next to me was able to carry on his rods.

Seems like a bit of a crap shoot. I would advise that you bring a rod tube that will fit in your checked luggage. It can be a little but hectic flying out on one of the Saturday flights.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 148
1. Re: Roatan Airport Wouldn't Allow Fishing Rod Carry On

Thanks for posting this. My husband has developed the habit of taking 2 rods, 1 in our checked luggage and 1 that he carries on heading south (so he at least has 1 if our checked bag is misplaced); he puts both in the checked bag coming home.

Wisconsin
reviews: 15
2. Re: Roatan Airport Wouldn't Allow Fishing Rod Carry On

That is good advice to carry on the way down and check on the way back. I thought for sure I would never see my rod again but it eventually dropped down the carousel in Atlanta unharmed.

I just booked my flight into SAP for next winter. From there I will be taking one of the national airlines onto Guanaja. Do you know if there are any rules for taking rods on any of the airlines that currently service Guanaja?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
3. Re: Roatan Airport Wouldn't Allow Fishing Rod Carry On

I don't - it's been nearly 4 years since we were there and the airlines are not the same. I hope you'll post a trip report!

Roatan, Honduras
4. Re: Roatan Airport Wouldn't Allow Fishing Rod Carry On

Weird

When ex Prez Jimmy Carter was visiting Guanaja last year they let all kinds of rod holders on carryon

Edited: 4:11 pm, May 15, 2012
Bonnyville, Canada
reviews: 27
5. Re: Roatan Airport Wouldn't Allow Fishing Rod Carry On

They would not allow any water or pop bought inside the secure area on the plane either, so dont bother buying a drink for the plane ride!

Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 21
6. Re: Roatan Airport Wouldn't Allow Fishing Rod Carry On

Roatan airport is an experience all of its own!! I noticed when we arrived in the baggage claim area the put all your luggage through a scanner before you can leave the airport. Funny part of that is no one is monitoring the scanner. Just throwing it through the machine.

However, flying back out they padded me down twice and went through my carry on three times before boarding. Even after you've gone through the security check they again went through every ones stuff before boarding. Really ridiculous!!

Also get to the airport early... So move pretty slow. ;-)

7. Re: Roatan Airport Wouldn't Allow Fishing Rod Carry On

Yeah, no kidding! Horror story: 2/18/13 I almost got arrested at Roatan airport because I got upset when they told me I couldn't carry my rod on- but they went a step further to say that there was no one at the front counter to check it either and that I "can't bring it on the plane"! (by the way- time was running out as my family waited on the other side of security even though we arrived at airport 2 hrs ahead of time)! I decided to break the rod in front of everyone, rather than let them have a "freebee", which of course, did not go over well. Thus, the police were called. Let's just say that without three crying girls on the other side of security- I would be sitting in a Hondurean jail instead of typing this! Do Not Try to bring a rod! (or as my buddy who I just spoke with suggested- try to bribe them- as I'm sure the one gentleman did to get his rod on there).

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
8. Re: Roatan Airport Wouldn't Allow Fishing Rod Carry On

Wow - that's quite a story! You can't carry it on and you can't check it? Crazy! I just read this to my husband and he can't believe how stupid that is - they should be doing everything they can to promote fishing - it's a relatively untapped resource on Roatán. We've had so many things that could be carried on heading south but not heading north that we just decided never to try carrying on valuable items like that anymore on the way home.

Sorry for the loss and trauma!

Knoxville, Tennessee
9. Re: Roatan Airport Wouldn't Allow Fishing Rod Carry On

What other items are permitted southbound and prohibited northbound?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
10. Re: Roatan Airport Wouldn't Allow Fishing Rod Carry On

Tiny folding scissors, some containers of liquids or gels in small enough containers that they didn't believe were the right size, even though it had the weight on them, nail clippers, tweezers. It depends on who is checking the bags but pretty frequently they find something to hate.

Get answers to your questions about Roatan