We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bugs and children

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Rosa
reviews: 1
bugs and children

Is there a certain time of year that would be better to visit roatan, to avoid the many insects if we are traveling with a child and a toddler? Thanks for your knowledge to anyone....

San Fransisco
1. Re: bugs and children

We were also concerned about this when we visited roatan over last xmas vacation. Many of us got bites over our 14 day stay but it did not take way from our great vacation in anyway. My wife has since returned to West Bay beach in March 2006 and did not even get bitten at all. She used the Avon "Skin so soft" products this time around so perhaps that did the trick. She also stayed in West Bay Village and felt that the lodging, cleaniness etc..are the best defense. Check out the West Bay village beach houses which is the best location on the beach with clean lodging. Barefoot Dream lower unit in particularly.

2. Re: bugs and children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:45 am, April 07, 2006
Flowers Bay...
3. Re: bugs and children

Kateeo,

Roatan and the Bay Islands as a whole are known to have more bug issues than many other destinations. I reccomend to those that visit that they do bring a good repellant. It is up to them to decide what is best , especially if young children are involved. For me, I use deet, Many other products just don't do it for me no matter whether I am visiting West End, West Bay, or South Florida. I will however mention that the post that suggests cleanliness of a resort affecting sandfly and mosquito population is without warrant. Sometimes there are bugs sometimes not. All of the original Island communities were along the Southshore, due in part to storm protection as well as trade winds that often cool and reduce the bugs, Some places, Even West bay are former swamp which can be more conusive to biting critters is they are close to areas that were filled in. That said, A little protection goes a long way and just remember to re aply bugspray often. If a place anywhere on the Bay Islands would suggest that bugs were never a problem then I would really be concerned as to what kind of toxic chemicals they were using. We all try to minimize the problem but again it has to do with environment and not anything to do with cleanliness.

london, canada
4. Re: bugs and children

I was down for 3 months last spring with my 3 mth old and 2 yr old. Cactus Juice, a natural,nondeet repellent is sold all over in Roatan, it's gentle enough even for a baby's skin, and works well. Just make sure you put it on all the time: as soon as they get out from a swim, rinse the salt water off (I always had a small water bottle along to rinse them off), and put the bug juice on. I had a mosquito net for them to sleep under, or if you have a fan going, that usually helps keep the mosquitos away.

I used to live there year round: bugs are never gone entirely, probably a little better in the spring as it's dryer (mosquitos breed with the pooling water), the no-see-ums tend to be less on the east side, as there's usually a breeze, but the water's flatter and better for kids on the west.

Flowers Bay...
5. Re: bugs and children

I agree with mel but actually it is the North side that usually has calmer water, which includes West End and Most of West Bay and the South Side that is prone to rougher seas. However it all depends on time of year. Most of winter months if storms kick up they affect the northshore more, as do most winds from the very occasional hurricane winds or tropical storms. Cactus juice does not work at all for me, it may for you, to be safe, pack something you know works, if you don't need it I promise you will find a local that will appreciate it if you leave it for them when you leave.

Santa Rosa
6. Re: bugs and children

Well, Thanks to ALL for the info-

I am looking at traveling in late Feb 2007 - week after President's Day wknd. thru month end.

I am also looking at possiblity of child care a couple o' times while there, so have been looking at places that offer that as well. Anyone familiar with Luna Beach Resort or have suggestions for beachfront accomodations for 2 adult, 2 small children?

Also, having trouble finding flights from No. Calif. to Roatan- through Houston I guess, with layover? Looking for the quickest way possible( of course) with the little kids!

Flowers Bay...
7. Re: bugs and children

Kateeo,

From the West Coast I believe your two main options are Taca or Continental. I think Taca goes thru El Salvador from LAX but not sure. Check out both websites and see what they offer, for the most part I have found these days that there is not a whole lot to be saved trying to book these thru a discount airfare place, but that's just my opinion. I hope you are staying past the end of Feb into March and not only going for 3 or 4 days to end of month. I can't help with the other things, I have no children and have not stayed many places on the Island since I have my house there.

New York City, New...
reviews: 8
8. Re: bugs and children

Hi! We've traveled to Honduras with our kids (now 9 & 11) since they were toddlers. Here's the bug advice first: The noseeums are going to be just about anywhere you go in the Bay Islands so be prepared. We've tried many products and have been most successful with the 7% or 9% deet products like "OFF" and "Cutters". You don't need the high powered 29% deet, just the spritz bottles which, from my experience, are the easiest to keep spraying on the kids. If / when you do get bit, Benedryl makes a gel that calms the bites. - - - Our usual style would be something like Burts Bees but in the Bay Islands you need to be more serious.

Layovers from California: My recommendation is to try to get as far as San Pedro Sula the first day and then fly out to the islands the next a.m.

There's also a hotel right in the Miami airport if you do a red-eye.

We just got back from Guanaja last week and did a night flight into Houston and then flew out the next a.m. That worked out very nicely and we were more well rested than usual.

I hope you and your children enjoy Honduras!

Santa Rosa
9. Re: bugs and children

great info- thanks a bunch

Chicago, IL
10. Re: bugs and children

I am considering the Bay Islands for our honeymoon where we will be bringing our two children along (20 months and 8 years) in July of 2007. I noticed your posts and was pleased to see all the bug info, but were you able to find a place you were happy with that was able to accomodate babysitting while you guys did your snorkel/scuba? Did you have major bug problems? We might just go for the cruise where you stop in Roatan for one day, but I'd really like to hang out for a few and get in the water!! thanks for any info you might have....!

Get answers to your questions about Roatan