We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for great beach and shore snorkeling

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
reviews: 16
Looking for great beach and shore snorkeling

Hi everyone! My husband and I will be in Roatan in late November for only 1 day (yes, arriving on one of those dreaded cruise ships). We're thinking about renting a car and doing some exploring and would love some advice about which beach(s) to visit and where to find excellent snorkeling from the shore. Anything else you think would be worth a visit would be appreciated too. Please don't beet me up for being a "cruiser". We do lots of regular travel, but occassionaly take a cruise to just chill out and scope new destinations. We're in port for 8 hours. Thanks!

Los Angeles
11. Re: Looking for great beach and shore snorkeling

Yikes! I hope we get lucky and it doesn't rain all day! I've been wanting to check out Roatan for a while now, since we have been considering vacationing there. I think we may just wing it when we get there. I'm still toying with the car idea though. That would give us lots of flexibility. The ship is in port for 9 hours, so that gives us probably about 6 or 7 hours to work with.

Roatan, Honduras
12. Re: Looking for great beach and shore snorkeling

To socpe it out then drive along the coast from the dock to Flowers Bay and across the ridges to West Bay Beach and have a coffee or snack at the mall or a Gelato at Paradise Beach Club. The cruise on back to the top of the ridge and down to West End ~ don't take time for a stop just drive in and around the traffic medium and you can see Half Moon Bay. Head on out imediatley ~ drive on through Sandy Bay. If you want to take a look at another potential place to which to return then take the turn to Palmetto Bay. Go in for a quick look or have lunch ~ maybe you will see some celebs. Then take the drive over the ridge to French Harbor and take in some bodacious sights. Once you arrive back on the hardtop turn left and continue to French Harbour for Conch soup or on up to Fantasy Island or The View or 8 hours should be enough to get to Paya Bay and back if you do not take the detour to Palmetto Bay. Actually, Palmetto has more in the way of potential return than Paya Bay and is closer and what you would miss in the Coxen Hole/Brick Bay area once you turn onto the Mudd Hole road isn't that desirable as a place to stay.

Houston, TX
reviews: 13
13. Re: Looking for great beach and shore snorkeling

You could try Barefoot Cay - I know they take a few (and I mean a few) cruisers there....great place for:

swimming pool

first class dining & cocktail service

very very private island atmosphere

total pampering

you can get a massage

they have great showers

The beach is not walk in, but they have a wonderful long pier that is covered at the end (with hammocks)that you jump off for snorkeling and the snorkeling is FANTASTIC! They sunk two ships there so there are tons of fish and tons of coral too. We saw huge grouper, puffers and some massive spotted rays.

This is a very beautiful and secluded resort with only a few bungalows. We stayed there a week last June and are going back in March 09.

There will be NO crowds here, guaranteed. You can find them here on tripadvisor or at www.barefootcay.com. You would have to contact them about coming from the cruise to see what their policies are, but we saw three cruisers there on the day the ship was in port when we stayed.

Washington DC...
reviews: 51
14. Re: Looking for great beach and shore snorkeling

I second the vote for Barefoot Cay. We too stayed there...it is GORGEOUS. I didn't realize they allow some cruisers on the island, but if they do, yeah-contact Melisse or John and see what their policy is, and if they say sure, then I would seriously consider it!

Los Angeles
15. Re: Looking for great beach and shore snorkeling

Barefoot Cay looks nice. I'll look into it. I just hope our ship still takes us to Roata. We're supposed to be there in 2 weeks and I know some ships have been skipping that port :(

16. Re: Looking for great beach and shore snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, October 14, 2009