We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Intro Diving Course

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
reviews: 52
Intro Diving Course

Where is the best place to take it? Has anyone done it in Rotan who can comment about safety and price.

Thanks!

We are looking at staying at Henry Morgan and it seems like they have the most expensive intro course....

toronto
reviews: 7
1. Re: Intro Diving Course

Hi I just took the Open Water Diver course at Henry Morgan ( TGI Diving). I didn't shop around so I can't compare prices but the TGI centre seems to be very well run. They have one of the best dive boats and the other experienced divers I talked to thought it was a good operation. If you are comparing prices consider extra charges like equipment rental. I spent $339 for the Open Water course and then did 3 more dives. Altogether I spent $468 for the course and 3 extra dives including equipment rental. It is very convenient to use TGI if you are staying at Henry Morgan and you will get to know other people at the resort who are diving with TGI. Contact me by e-mail if you want more info.

menlo park, ca
reviews: 66
2. Re: Intro Diving Course

Diving prices tend to be a lot more at the shops on West Bay than in West End. But then there's the convenience of not having to get from your resort to a West End shop.

I assume that by "intro" you mean that you are looking into becoming certified to dive. "Intro" usually means a one-dive exposure to diving, to see if you like it or not. It's a waste of time in my opinion.

You may want to save time by taking the classroom portion of the certification process at home and then get a referral to a shop in Roatan for the final dives. This is more expensive than doing everything in Roatan, but it leaves more days for diving.

There are lots of competent dive operations in West End, all offering good prices. I'd suggest Coconut Tree divers. I'm sure others have their favorites too. You might arrange to have them pick you up each morning at your resort.

Ontario
3. Re: Intro Diving Course

I saw the "Referral Dive" on the price list but I wasn't sure what it was.

Yes, I did mean the one dive kinda of dive. To be honest we are only at Henery Morgan for 5 days so we don't want to spend it all learning to dive and getting certified. Not to mention the cost :(

I have read about doing the class stuff on-line but I am not really sure of the process...

menlo park, ca
reviews: 66
4. Re: Intro Diving Course

"referral dives" are the final dives, generally 4 dives over 2 days, you take AFTER you have done the classroom portion of your certification. You take the classes at a dive shop at home and then are referred to a dive shop in Roatan to complete your certification process. The Roatan shop signs off that you have completed the diving portion, and then the shop back home issues the certification.

If you are talking about the single introductory dive, it's often called a "resort course", consisting of brief classes in a pool followed by a closely monitored shallow ocean dive. I think this is a waste of money because you are too overwhelmed with the novelty of the equipment to appreciate the experience.

If you want to dive but are concerned with the time it takes out of your vacation (you probably could NOT complete the entire course in a 5 day vacation because of the restriction of diving within 24 hours of flying), start the process at home and then do the referral dives in Roatan, leaving several days to dive on your own.

toronto
reviews: 7
5. Re: Intro Diving Course

Just to add to the advice I agree that a resort dive is a waste of time. Diving is a fairly demanding skill and if you are going to do it at all you should do it properly. The snorkeling in Roatan is the best I've seen in 5 years of snorkeling in Mexico and Cuba. If you don't have time to do an Open Water Diver course then stick to snorkeling. I saw a lot of interesting things in shallow water close to shore without the hassle of scuba equipment. I loved the scuba diving I did but there is a lot to be said for snorkeling; easy, cheap, safe and you will see a lot of things you might not see diving.

Ontario
6. Re: Intro Diving Course

Thanks for all the info. Actually we will be in La Cebia for a few days before so the flying /diving rule shouldn't be applicatble. I have looked at doing the on-line course at home on the internet then you need 4 pool sessions --right? How much do the pool sessions usually cost?

Then 4 real water dives...? Refferal dives right...? I think it is $200 in Roatan. (vs. $100 for the 'resort dive')

So this would mean I would need to hussle (our trip is less then 1 month away) and convince my friend to also get certified. In 5 days we should be able to get 4 dives in right?

Thanks again for all your help....!!

Flowers Bay...
7. Re: Intro Diving Course

Most of Roatan does "pool" dives in the shallows of the sea. Many call them pool dives but they actually need simply be confined water in which people can be taught comfortably and similar to pool like conditions. Believe me, I have taught in some pools that did not even have top to bottom visibility so Roatan confined water would be a dream. I would strongly suggest if you are really interesated in learning then go to your nearest dive shop and talk to one of their professionals.

As far as cost, West Bay is the most expensive tourist area of the Island so many things tend to cost more there. My dive shop of choice is Native Sons. They have good pricing, are Islander owned and have been there a long time but they are in West End.

Prunedale...
reviews: 4
8. Re: Intro Diving Course

My husband and son were certified last week at Native Sons. They thought it was great. They mentioned faster boats,very good staff that made them feel safe and not having to haul equipment a long way from shop to boat being a plus.

9. Re: Intro Diving Course

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, September 20, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Roatan
Recent Conversations