We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roatan, Newbie, Malaria

Which Roatan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Shelton
Roatan, Newbie, Malaria

Hello,

I am curious about the malaria problems on Roatan. We had some issues a few years ago in Nica and do not want them again. We do the deet thing and wear good covering clothing at certain hours, other than that is there much of an issue?

Bainbridge Island...
reviews: 6
1. Re: Roatan, Newbie, Malaria

There are a lot of different opinions regarding preventative measures prior to travel to Roatan.

Plenty of people visit Roatan every year without taking prior preventative measures for Malaria or other diseases and suffer no ill effects.

Others will get all of their vaccinations and preventative treatments.

Roatan has experienced confirmed incidences of Malaria, so you are probably better off being safe than sorry. The preventative medications routinely prescribed for Malaria are typically inexpensive, so I'd think of it as cheap trip insurance.

The CDC website notes the following:

"If you will be visiting a malaria risk area in Honduras, chloroquine is the recommended antimalarial drug.

Malaria risk area in Honduras: Risk throughout the country at altitudes below 1000 m (<3,281 ft) and in Roatán and other Bay Island. Risk exists in the outskirts of Tegucigalpa and San Pedro Sula."

Regardless of your personal decision regarding preventative treatment, your DEET is a great idea. Like any other tropical locations, mosquitos can be a pain.

Although I personally took chloroquine prior to my last trip to Roatan, I also used bug spray/DEET liberally and got away with no bites in the week of our visit.

Matt

menlo park
reviews: 17
2. Re: Roatan, Newbie, Malaria

That's an important question. Before someone else weighs in with "gee, in my opinion there isn't much of a problem with malaria in Roatan" remember that the CDC (kinda the world authority on the matter) considers Roatan to be a malarial area and recommends taking preventive medicine before, during, and after your visit. And even then, you will not be allowed to donate blood for a whole year after your return. So get the medicine to prevent the disease and use the DEET to minimize the bites (there being no medicine fo dengue fever) and enjoy your trip. The chances of contacting malaria and dengue are small, but why take the risk?

Roatan, Honduras
3. Re: Roatan, Newbie, Malaria

Quote from a health news letter:

"A study in the New England Journal of Medicine found a soybean and essential oil based product to be the most effective natural repellent. USDA found this formula to provide effective protection against mosquitoes for 4-8 hours. In this study a natural formula containing soybean oil and essential oils was compared to OFF, Skintastic. All the formulas were effective after one hour, but after 3 hours the soybean and essential oil formula was still 92% effective ~ DEET based formula was only reduced bites by 79%."

The medication you take to prevent Malaria is the same as one of the medications you take to get rid of it. Yes, modern medicine has discovered how to get it out of the body totally, but you have to listen to your health care professional and take the second batch of meds after you start feeling well.

At least we do not have West Nile Virus, knock on wood. And the prevalence of Malaria is dependent upon the time of year.

4. Re: Roatan, Newbie, Malaria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, September 06, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Roatan