We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guanaja Trip Report

Which Guanaja hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
reviews: 9
Guanaja Trip Report

We (myself and girlfriend, 30 something’s) spent 8 days on the island. Flew into San Pedro Sula, private taxi to La Ceiba and flight to the island. I will post expanded reviews of the specific places we stayed in the review section.

Spent the first night at Rainbow Village in La Ceiba, very convenient to the airport and Barbara arranged for the private taxi from San Pedro. Following morning we flew out on Aero Caribe to the Guanaja. I booked the flights through Donovan via guanajatravel@yahoo.com, there are better ways to book your flights. Donovan now works for Aero Caribe so don’t expect him to be much help with any other airlines. I would recommend that you have the hotel you are staying at book your flights. Also the airlines are only exchanging at 19:1 and you can save 5% by paying with Lempiras. Confirming flights and flight schedules was the hardest part of the trip.

After arriving in Guanaja we spent the next 4 nights at Grahams. It took all of 5 minutes from when the plane opened the doors to taking off Graham’s boat. We went to Grahams mostly for the access to the bonefish flats and were disappointed. There is easy access to the flats and many bones but also many fishermen, the bones are heavily pressured and very skittish. There where several groups of serious fisherman and all left disappointed in the fishing. The wind also blew hard the days we where there making kayaking a strenuous activity. I also went on a guided day trip with Fly Fish Guanaja, had a few shots but no takes. Graham’s can range from a quiet location with the key to yourself to a full on party with mainland spring breakers. We didn’t have any noise issues but others complained of being woken in the night from a wedding party’s noise.

After 4 nights at Grahams his crew dropped us off at the dock in Savannah Bite, from there we took a taxi (20L each) to Mangrove bite. At the dock we were picked up and took the short ride over to G&G’s Clearwater Paradise where we spent the next 4 nights. George & Ginger have a fabulous operation- the food and service are really the best I’ve experienced anywhere. This is the side of the island for diving and we did multiple snorkeling trips. A night snorkel which was amazing and the string of pearls paid us a visit. I found the fishing to be better on this side of the island, less fish but the bones are more eager to take a fly. You will see a parade of Fly Fish Guanaja boats throughout the morning and early afternoon though. George will drop you off on foot or with a kayak so you can access more water. We took the 6:00am Aero Caribe flight back to La Ceiba and had a flight booked on Sosa to San Pedro. The Sosa flight was over booked and they sent us on a private taxi. The Sosa employees made it really a painless process.

We checked out as much of the island as we could, if there are any specific questions I will try to answer them. The island is not for everyone but it’s a great fit for us, we will be back.

2 replies to this topic
Edmonds, Washington
reviews: 2
1. Re: Guanaja Trip Report

thank you for your review. I don't see that many for Guanaja and it was great reading. The islands aren't for everyone and if some of the people would figure it out before they go, we wouldn't have to listen to so many people complaining about the island conditions. Sorry it is Third World.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 84
2. Re: Guanaja Trip Report

Thanks for posting. We spent a week each at Bo's Island House on the north coast and Graham's Place in 2008 and had a blast both places. I dove my brains out with Bo and the snorkeling on that side of the island was some of the best I've seen anywhere, rivaling Glover's Reef in Belize. My husband is an avid flyfisherman and walked the flats in the north every morning with modest success - enough to keep it interesting. He was the only fisherman on the flats at Graham's and spent days figuring out how to outsmart those skittish fish, eventually with good success. Good to know how the place can get hammered at times because it would be disappointing to return and have it be so drastically different from our earlier visit. Thanks again!

Reply to: Guanaja Trip Report
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Guanaja