We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around and food.

Which Guanaja hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mobile AL
reviews: 10
Getting around and food.

I have found several places on Guanaja we are considering spending 5 to 7 days. My question is where you can get groceries and are there any small local resturants in the 2 little villages on the main island. Also can anyone give costs to use the water taxis around the island? I know fuel is high. I'm finding it difficult to find much information about Guanaja and there aren't many posts on the forum.

23 replies to this topic
Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
reviews: 198
1. Re: Getting around and food.

you should probably send a private message to "hopefulist", she's the only regular contributor to this forum who has first hand knowledge of guanaja.

Mobile AL
reviews: 10
2. Re: Getting around and food.

Thanks for the tip. I have found a couple of beach houses that look perfect for us. I just want to be sure we can get food for a week without spending our retirement.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 148
3. Re: Getting around and food.

You'll find groceries in Bonacca Town which sits on a small caye on the south side of the island; there may be some availability in other villages but I wouldn't count on it. Outside of Bonacca Town (which has limited options) you won't find much in the way of restaurants in the villages, at least not when we were there 4 years ago and I'd be surprised if that has changed. There are several lodges including the 2 wonderful places we stayed - Bo's Island House on the north shore and Graham's Place on its own caye to the south - that have little restaurants.

I have no idea on 'water taxi' costs but keep in mind that since there aren't roads, many of the locals have their own boats and regular schedules for water taxis don't exist like they do in some places; you may have to walk into the nearest village and ask around.

Getting to and from Guanaja is a special challenge which is the main reason not many folks have visited there. I hope it works out for you!

Edited: 10:34 pm, October 26, 2012
Denver, Colorado
reviews: 9
4. Re: Getting around and food.

I go to Guanaja 3 x per year and know everything about the Island in regards to shopping, getting around etc.

If you are still interested in asking someone questions please feel free to ask me.

Thank you and you for sure will enjoy the trip. Its a great place.

regards,

Dan

Spokane, Washington
5. Re: Getting around and food.

We will be taking a trip to Guanaja next month. The flights are definitely confusing! Do you know if there is a flight schedule for flights leave out of Guanaja to connect to departing flights from Roatan?

Also, we are staying on the north side of the island. Where is a good place to obtain groceries or find a pub or restaurant?

thanks

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 148
6. Re: Getting around and food.

Aside from meals at the separate lodges, the only pub/restaurants I know of are in Bonacca Town on the south side, accessible by boat, and the only stores would be there; good might be using the term loosely. ;-)

It has been a few years since we were there but at the time the flights were few and far between with no thought to aligning anything. They were frequently cancelled or overbooked. Be sure to confirm at least once and show up plenty early so you're not asked to wait for a flight another day. It didn't happen to us but we witnessed it 4 times in 1 visit.

We really enjoyed Guanaja - hope you'll post a report!

Wisconsin
reviews: 15
7. Re: Getting around and food.

I was there in February. At that time Aero Caribe, Lhansa and Sosa where flying to Guanaja. Aero Caribe has a 6:30 departing flight to La Ceiba that would give you enough time to catch a flight or ferry to Roatan. There is no regular scheduled flights between the islands. I would have your hotel make any flight reservations, it is very challenging to figure out the flight schedules and the airline's website information is not accurate.

From Mangrove Bight there is a ferry (Ms. May) that makes daily (I think) round trips to Bonacca. That is your best bet for groceries, there is limited supplies available in Mangrove Bight. You can stop at any of the hotel/resorts (G&G Clearwater, Kays Place, Bo Bush's) on the north side for dinner and drinks, recommend calling first to let them know you are coming. There is also a local restaurant and disco in Mangrove Bight.

reviews: 25
8. Re: Getting around and food.

Dan,

Where can you rent or buy kayaks and sailboats in the Guanaja area?

Denver, Colorado
reviews: 9
9. Re: Getting around and food.

Grahams rents Kayaks for sure. You really cant buy either on the Island. People order them from the States usually and ship them down. Or you could buy them in La Ceiba or Roatan etc.

And you wouldnt be able to rent a sailboat on Guanaja.

Regards,

Dan

Houston, Texas
10. Re: Getting around and food.

Dan,

Would you recommend staying at Rolands, G&G or Girarlda? I read that someone rented a house there as well. Also, in terms of getting around can you just walk, kayak, or rent a boat to use? What has worked for you in exploring the island independently and in finding provisions (food)? I am looking at spending a week there but I want to get a clear picture of what I'm getting myself into. Thanks for your help. And just wondering, why do you go there so often?

Best,

M

Reply to: Getting around and food.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Guanaja