We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guanaja island Club

Which Guanaja hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbia, South...
reviews: 10
Guanaja island Club

I am the guy who said that I had read a lot of bad things about this resort back in early 2011. I was also worried about having to send money ahead of time via wire service. In other words i couldn't pay by credit card. I spoke with Brian Rowland back then and he assured me all would be OK.nd i am here to tell you that it was one of the best diving adventures of my life. The place is beautiful, Brian and his family are great people, the diving was spectacular, everything was perfect including all the wonderful home cooked meals. You should not hesitate to go there if you want to have a great diving and vacation experience.

13 replies to this topic
Columbia, South...
reviews: 10
1. Re: Guanaja island Club

This is a letter I wrote to Scuba magazine about Guanaja island club right after my visit in early 2011. What a great place. What great diving. What a great family as the hosts.

Guanaja, Honduras, Central America

Guanaja Island Club Feb 11 to Feb 18, 2011

Guanaja is an island about 30 to 40 miles off the coast of Honduras. A lot of people have heard of Roatan which is another close by island. Guanaja is very remote and has virtually no roads, just a little electricity if you are in one of the two villages (we were not) but lots of delicious drinking water right out of the mountain streams.

Getting there is really kind of fun. You fly into Honduras on a big jet and then catch a local airline – puddle jumper type aircraft – to a little landing strip on Guanaja and the real fun begins. If you aren’t going to dive that first day, grab yourself a Salva Vida beer at the airport bar for about $2 and enjoy the boat ride around Michaels Rock to the Guanaja Island Club – which is where we stayed.

The small resort has its own compressor for good air tanks, a nice little bar with plenty of beer and serves 3 squares a day to keep you energized. Food was simple but really tasty right down to the home made soft flour tortillas made by Carolina (pronounced Carolena) who is Brian Rowland’s wife. Brian is the owner and Dive Master and mixologist. He has some great help from his main man Raul and his 6 year old son Jordan (wow those blue eyes).

We went to Scuba dive. If you aren’t a diver Guanaja would not be a place for you to vacation unless you just like being quiet and you read a lot. Understandably no hot water, limited electricity generated on sight a few hours per day and really nowhere to go shopping or dining at nice restaurants. But the fresh fish, crabs and lobsters right out of the reef each day were delicious. Hiking in the mountains is about the only other form of entertainment besides good beer and rum and conversation.

Did I mention how good the drinking water was? The diving was awesome. Usually only 3 or 4 people diving at a time because the resort is small. The color is not there (but then we weren’t blessed with good sunshiny days) like in some Caribbean dive sites (Bonaire) but the volcanic formations are really amazing. It’s like the volcano erupted a few days ago and there are literally mountains of lava formations, semi enclosed cave like swim throughs, ledges and grottos. Totally unpredictable. You never know what is around the next formation. The water is very clear. At 100 feet down on an overcast day you could easily see 80 feet. The dive sites are all over the place and none of them take more than 10 minutes to get to in a small Panga dive boat unless you wanted to go to the other side of the island. Remember that all travel is by boat. You can stay at 40 or 50 feet or go right on down to 120 and never be away from the beautiful rock formations, turtles, starfish, LIONfish, and lots of eating size grouper and snapper. There were lots of LIONfish which are pretty but need to be avoided.

Christy and I both did our deepest dive to date and I shot my first grouper with a “Hawaiian sling” type spear . I’m hooked on that sport and I figure I could survive in the jungle now as long as I had a mask, fins and a spear. Sort of like Tom Hanks in the FedX movie. Just another really cool way to go fishing. I need to learn the rules as I’ve already noticed that there is a lot of regulation on spear fishing in the US and Caribbean.

Appleton, Wisconsin
reviews: 46
2. Re: Guanaja island Club

I have to disagree with this post. I just left from Guanaja and after only staying 3 days at Guanaja Island Club, I had to leave. I worried for my safety and didn't want the rest of my 9 days to be spent in hell. I paid in advance and have been trying to get part of my money back and they have been refusing. Even though I paid for 12 days and only stayed 3. It was a terrible experience. What they don't tell you is that they only have a generator, so you only have electricity for a few hours a day (when its working), there is only cold water to shower, there are no cabana's on the beach only up the mountain so you have to walk up more than 50 steps. The bugs are so bad, even using repellent I was eaten alive. The food was extremely poor. Then they don't have a boat for transportation, so you are stuck there. They will convince you to go into town, get you to pay for the water taxi, and then drag you around while they do shopping. I was even left on the street once to watch the children while the wife went with another tourist to buy drugs. I did not feel safe, I did not feel welcome (they are constantly arguing in front of you), and I would never in a million years recommend this place to anyone. I am an extremely tolerant person and have spent time in some pretty rough places but this was unbelievable. There is a reason why they renamed themselves from the "End of the World" but they didn't learn anything from all the bad reviews. STAY AWAY FROM HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eugene, Oregon
3. Re: Guanaja island Club

Where did you end up staying on Guanaja? Did you like the other location better? I'm looking for recommendations. Thank you.

Appleton, Wisconsin
4. Re: Guanaja island Club

Hey,

I stayed at Graham's place and at Giralda. Both are really nice. If you are looking for something with more of a party scene, go to Graham's place. If you are more interested in just peace and quiet with out dealing with people go to Giralda. I also heard good things about Bo's House and G & G's but did not stay at either of those. I hope that was helpful. I am actually going to be going back again and will be staying at Giralda again. It is so peaceful. But Graham's has a better bar and is more lively if that is your thing. Good luck!

Eugene, Oregon
5. Re: Guanaja island Club

Thank you. We are a family, so interested in the quieter scene! I have been looking at Giralda. Could you snorkel from the beach at Giralda? How about fly fish? How's the swimming from the dock? Since we are primarily interested in walkable fishing, snorkeling from the beach and swimming (don't want to spend a lot of money on guides), I was thinking more of the north side. Any thoughts on that idea? Thanks so much!

Appleton, Wisconsin
6. Re: Guanaja island Club

Hello,

I think for a family, you would like Giralda. You can snorkel right from the beach and there is actually some good rock formations to go snorkeling by. The swimming is good also. I don't know about the fishing. There is more fishing and swimming at Graham's place, but the snorkeling isn't as good. I can tell you that if you are staying at Giralda, a lot of people go over to Graham's for the day. So that is something you could do if you stayed at Giralda. Also the snorkeling and fishing is suppose to be good at Bo's house and its quiet over there. I think it depends on how much you want to spend and the kind of nice place you want to stay at.

Eugene, Oregon
7. Re: Guanaja island Club

Thanks again! It's great to communicate with someone who's been there!

Last few questions (I promise) -- Is it really windy at La Giralda? I see they offer kiteboarding! Also, do you have a villa you liked best or would recommend? (Unfortunately we cannot afford the big one!)

Appleton, Wisconsin
8. Re: Guanaja island Club

Hey,

No problem, it is a really nice place to visit and I am sure you will have a good time. Make sure you go to Graham's for the day at least, its worth it. I wish I would have chatted with someone before I went. Would have saved me a lot of money.

It wasn't really windy when I was there. Maybe they have to take you out a ways to go kiteboarding. I am unsure on that, sorry. I would recommend any of the villas except Almirante, its nice but doesn't have the best location. That one is above the main house and isn't on the beach. I am going to be staying in Caterina when i go again in February. That is my favorite. But they are all really nice. I think you will still be really happy, even if you don't stay in villa del Rey. That one has the pools but the others are super nice. I am not sure if you are going to go diving but if you do, I would not recommend going with Mr. Bill at that resort. I would go to G &G's for diving.

Have fun!!!

Eugene, Oregon
9. Re: Guanaja island Club

Thank you again! I really appreciate your help!

Wisconsin
reviews: 15
10. Re: Guanaja island Club

Thanks for sharing the information. We are going to Guanaja in 2 weeks and splitting our stay between G&Gs and Graham's. I exchanged a few emails with Hotel Guanaja about their kiteboarding, got the impression it was a different crew that set up on the island during the windy season and ran the kite operation.

Reply to: Guanaja island Club
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Guanaja