We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guanaja Island Experience, Diving, Fly fishing and hotel

Which Guanaja hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, Ontario...
reviews: 27
Guanaja Island Experience, Diving, Fly fishing and hotel

I have read most of the Guanaja forum content and just returned from a 10 day trip to Guanaja Island. We were with a family of 5, including three teenagers, who all thought that this was one the best holidays they had ever had. We are all certified divers, so that was our main activity.

I wrote a review on our accommodations under the heading Villa at Dunbar Rock. This is a spectacular place built on the South side of the island. It is managed by Denis and his family and is absolutely a gem. It is NOT for party seekers, as one is relatively isolated on this rock. More information can be found on the website: http://www.villaondunbarrock.com The food is simple but very tasty and the diving with Denis is second to none. He arranges three or 4 dives a day with picknick lunches and swim sessions in between.

I also spent two days fly fishing and did this with an outfit called Flyfish Guanaja and you can find the website at http://www.flyfishguanaja.com I caught lots of bone fish and saw more bone fish per time unit than in places like Cozumel, Andros, or Belize Turneff. There is not very much tarpon, but there is apparently lots of permit and snook. I did not have any luck seeing and catching them. Their guides are great and the fishing is out of mexican style panga boats. The owner, Steve, is great in responding to e-mail and if he is not there, he keeps in close contact with his guides. All arrangements for pick-up etc were done by e-mail and it worked exactly as agreed upon.

As far as travel, we flew through Atlanta to San Pedro Sula and then had to take a small hopper with Sosa Airlines via La Ceiba to Guanaja. I think that the next time I will fly though Roatan and then with a small hopper from Roatan to Guanaja. I think there are more options this way than via San Pedro Sula.

My ratings would be:

Villa on Dunbar Rock: +++++ (but again: NOT for party seekers)

Diving with Denis: +++++

Fishing with Flyfish Guanaja: ++++++

Travel to Guanaja: ++

Value for money: ++++

5 replies to this topic
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 95
1. Re: Guanaja Island Experience, Diving, Fly fishing and hotel

Thanks for posting - not much about Guanaja on here and we really enjoyed our visit, too.

London, Ontario...
reviews: 27
2. Re: Guanaja Island Experience, Diving, Fly fishing and hotel

I felt that Guanaja itself was not a very special island. It is relatively small and not very well developed in terms of tourism. There are no shops or other "typical" Caribean attractions. The main town, Guanaja Town or Bonacca, is a little town on a spit with little more attraction than a bank machine and some grocery stores for wine and other supplies. I did feel very safe all over the island where we stopped and there was nothing about the place that is threathening such as for example in Jamaica. The attraction of Guanaja is really the peace and quiet, the being away from the usual Caribean hustle and bustle, the excellent diving and flyfishing and the people we met there. This is really a place for people who are looking for a nice a quiet place and want some of the the specific activities as listed. We did not explore any other sites and therefore cannot comment. I do hear that there is also good hiking on the island. The sand flies are a bit of a problem and good insect repellants are needed if you want to hike or lie on the beaches.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
3. Re: Guanaja Island Experience, Diving, Fly fishing and hotel

I'd class it as over-the-top special, though I wish I could have seen it before Hurricane Mitch leveled the pine trees that Christopher Columbus saw.

We split our trip between a week at Bo's Island House on the north mainland and about a week at Graham's Place on it's own caye to the south; we loved both for different reasons. We didn't suffer from sand flies but don't choose lie on beaches anyway.

The diving on the north side with Bo was incredibly impressive and diving 1-on-1 with a guy who practically has gills was part of the charm. The snorkeling from shore was world class - some days I'd dive 2 tanks and spend an add'l 3 or 4 hours in the water. We enjoyed getting to know his family and other locals and did a bit of hiking - there's a waterfall hike easily accessed from his place.

http://bosislandhouse.com/

Graham's was awesome for bonefishing and relaxing - the local staff was good so we enjoyed our meals with them, especially the kids. We spent an afternoon in Bonacca Town and it was a cultural highlight - I've traveled a lot in Central America and have never been any place like it.

http://grahamsplacehonduras.com/

We'll head back eventually, not sure when. Here's a link to our photo collection from that trip:

flickr.com/photos/…

Happy trails!

Tennessee
reviews: 21
4. Re: Guanaja Island Experience, Diving, Fly fishing and hotel

Hopefulist,

I have decided that next year, I am going to just pay you to plan our next trip:). Reading about and looking at all the pics of your different trips, I keep on saying "I want to do that".

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
5. Re: Guanaja Island Experience, Diving, Fly fishing and hotel

Thanks for your kind words, brennan. We have absolutely loved every trip we've made, everything we've done, everywhere we've stayed.

Reply to: Guanaja Island Experience, Diving, Fly fishing and hotel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Guanaja