We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Honduras National Parks without an agency

Which Guanaja hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Shefford, Canada
reviews: 2
Visiting Honduras National Parks without an agency

Hello,

We are planning on visiting Honduras in August and would like to include the visit of some national parks in our trip, as well as Copan. We are a family of 5. I have read that they are difficult to visit without booking an excursion with a tour company. Is it true? With a family of 5 people, I am afraid the costs would quickly add up....

Which would be the top parks to visit ?

We have travel experience and hiking experience ( we recently went to Peru and did the Inca Trail and the Colca Canyon).

Thanks!

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
reviews: 198
1. Re: Visiting Honduras National Parks without an agency

i highly recommend omega lodge in the cloud forest near la ceiba, beautiful. lush jungle, birding, waterfalls, white water rafting and lovely views.

when visiting the mayan ruins at copan a stay at hacienda san lucas is an absolute must, my favorite hotel and restaurant in all of honduras.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
2. Re: Visiting Honduras National Parks without an agency

if you're considering la moskita you definitely need a guide, one of the wildest and least explored places in all of central america.

Shefford, Canada
3. Re: Visiting Honduras National Parks without an agency

Thank you for your reply. Do we need a guide for parks other than Moskita ?

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
4. Re: Visiting Honduras National Parks without an agency

i don't think so.

5. Re: Visiting Honduras National Parks without an agency

If you haven't already booked your stay, check out Villas at Pico Bonito. Richard Adamson, the owner, has made a beautiful little hide away of several villas that can handle from 2 up to 12 (I think) people. It is overlooking the Congrejal River, and an open air restaurant and bar and gorgeous infinity edge pool. It is within walking distance to the Pico Bonito National Forest and many other excursions that Richard can help you arrange. All the villas have kitchens, so you can do some or all of your own cooking if you like. We have stayed there and refer all our clients wanting to spend time on the mainland to them. Fabulous place.

Shefford, Canada
6. Re: Visiting Honduras National Parks without an agency

Thnk you.We will check it out.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 95
7. Re: Visiting Honduras National Parks without an agency

There are lots of things to do around Copán without a guide. The little mototaxis (golf cart taxis) wait around the square to take you where you want to go, though some places, like 4 nice museums, the ruins, and the butterfly place, are walkable if you want to stretch your legs. The bird park and Hacienda San Lucas (for hiking to Los Sapos and La Pintada even if you don't eat or stay there) are a big further afield. There are hot springs less than an hour away plus waterfalls and caves, though you'd want a guide for those; I used Yaragua Tours.

I can 2nd the recommendation for Omega Tours near La Ceiba - rafting, kayaking, hiking, waterfalls, horse trips:

www.omegatours.info

I see this is posted in the Guanaja forum - do you have plans to head there? Let me know of read my reviews here on Trip Advisor. You can also check out my photos, blogs, and travelogues below. Happy trails!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

8. Re: Visiting Honduras National Parks without an agency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 pm, April 26, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Guanaja