We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water taxi schedule?

Which Panajachel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburg, Texas
reviews: 60
Water taxi schedule?

Does anyone know how I can find out the schedule to take la lancha to San Marcos? I don't want to get to Pana too late and miss the boat!

Panajachel...
reviews: 10
1. Re: Water taxi schedule?

The last boat from Pana in that direction theoretically leaves at 7:30.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 95
2. Re: Water taxi schedule?

Whoa - do they have lights? I didn't realize the boats ran in the dark except for festivals.

Boynton Beach...
reviews: 5
3. Re: Water taxi schedule?

There is no "set" schedule of which I'm aware. Lanchas depart pretty much any time they fill up. That means there has to be at least 10 passengers before the captain will leave the dock. I've cooled my heels in a lancha anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour while the captain waited for his quota. hopefulist is quite right about these boats not running in the dark. You should probably try to grab a boat by around 4 p.m. or so as service after that becomes less frequent and less reliable.

Edinburg, Texas
reviews: 60
4. Re: Water taxi schedule?

Thanks! I'll make sure to get there in early afternoon. Being in the boat in the dark isn't too appealing to me anyway.

Panajachel...
5. Re: Water taxi schedule?

Some of the shuttles have lights. The 7:30 boat is fairly reliable for leaving more or less on time. There are government "water cops" at the dock in Pana most of the time that try to make the lancheros leave every half hour full or not. They are also supposed to keep them from overloading (ha, ha). Some boats leave Pana and crawl to the next stop to allow plenty of time for customers to gather at the dock in Santa Cruz. It's really about a ten minute ride but can take almost an hour sometimes.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 137
6. Re: Water taxi schedule?

The later in the afternoon can mean higher waves and rougher rides due to winds. I would NOT ride these launchas after 5pm.

Edited: 10:46 am, December 24, 2012
Panajachel...
7. Re: Water taxi schedule?

The winds often calm down in the evenings before sunset. It's been rough for a couple of days but is calm now. I go back and forth from Pana to Jaibalito everyday - sometimes the ride can be wet.

eddystone lighthouse
8. Re: Water taxi schedule?

how strict are the moderateros here? dont want to shut down the forum, like at LP!

BC
reviews: 95
9. Re: Water taxi schedule?

eddystone, it depends on the forum and who is reading it. Some forums have a lot of local interests posting and reading and they report anything they don't like quickly. Especially if it is any bad news relating to security and safety.

I think that LP's database was hacked, and they are assessing security and holes.

eddystone lighthouse
10. Re: Water taxi schedule?

Thanks, and you can call me Eddy (with a Y). So Low Hobo of Chicago, you know anything? I know you got lots of posts on LP. Hope they dont zero you out.

Get answers to your questions about Panajachel