We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap, nice place to stay in Panajachel?

Which Panajachel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mexico City, Mexico
reviews: 230
Cheap, nice place to stay in Panajachel?

We are ten and looking for a nice but budget (20 dollars a double) place to stay in Panajachel, lago Atitlan. Anyone has any recommendation?

Bethesda, MD
reviews: 24
1. Re: Cheap, nice place to stay in Panajachel?

I've never stayed there, but a lot of people recommend Mario's Rooms. But they don't take reservations.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 148
2. Re: Cheap, nice place to stay in Panajachel?

Mario's Rooms gets my vote - I love that place!!

They do take reservations, just not over the internet. And they do fill up, especially on week-ends, so it's best to call 1st. The phone number is 7762 2370 (dial 011 502 first if calling from the US).

Here's the summary from my last review here on Trip Advisor, plus the link:

I was happy to return to Mario's Rooms and it's as great as ever. Perfect location an Santander, lovely garden area, friendly staff, small, nicely appointed room with good hot water, free wireless and purified water. I paid about $15 for a single room which included breakfast. Highly recommended!

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g292008-d162758…

My photos with blog and travelogue links are below; there should be photos of Mario's Rooms in the 2007 and 2009 collections.

Mario's Rooms gets my vote - I love that place!!

They do take reservations, just not over the internet. And they do fill up, especially on week-ends, so it's best to call 1st. The phone number is 7762 2370 (dial 011 502 first if calling from the US).

Here's the summary from my last review here on Trip Advisor, plus the link:

I was happy to return to Mario's Rooms and it's as great as ever. Perfect location an Santander, lovely garden area, friendly staff, small, nicely appointed room with good hot water, free wireless and purified water. I paid about $15 for a single room which included breakfast. Highly recommended!

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g292008-d162758…

My photos with blog and travelogue links are below; there should be photos of Mario's Rooms in the 2007 and 2009 collections.

Let me know if there's more I can do to help!

Let me know if there's more I can do to help!

Edited: 4:12 pm, February 02, 2011
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 148
3. Re: Cheap, nice place to stay in Panajachel?

Oops - I repasted my last sentence instead of the link and the system wouldn't let me edit:

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Deerfield Beach...
reviews: 12
4. Re: Cheap, nice place to stay in Panajachel?

I recommend a place I found by accident looking for a different place. Hospedaje El Amanecer tel: 7762-0636 Final Calle Los Ramos, is a clean place near the beach with secure parking, cable TV and private bath for about Q100/$US12 single. Its a fairly new two-story US type motel. I was very satisfied and I would stay there again next time I go. I'd say off-season you should be able to find availability anywhere you go.

Washington DC
reviews: 8
5. Re: Cheap, nice place to stay in Panajachel?

Another vote for Mario's Rooms...have stayed there several times, the daughters stayed there last summer--it's great. Perfect location along Calle Santander: walk out the door and head left to the lake.

You used to also be able to go up to the roof for excellent views. not sure if you still can.

Mexico City, Mexico
reviews: 230
6. Re: Cheap, nice place to stay in Panajachel?

Thanks. Mario's it is.

7. Re: Cheap, nice place to stay in Panajachel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, October 16, 2012