We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

highest elevation on road to Lake Atilan?

Massachusetts
reviews: 24
highest elevation on road to Lake Atilan?

Have a friend who is traveling with me who is very sensitive to high elevations... she cannot stay at 9000+ feet for more than a hour. Can someone tell me how high the road is at it's highest spot around the lake? on the pass to the lake? Many thanks

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 137
1. Re: highest elevation on road to Lake Atilan?

I haven't read anything about the road between and googling didn't help me. I'm guessing it's more like 6000 feet, then drops into the lake which is ~5000 feet. Hopefully someone else con provide more specifics - happy trails!

Deerfield Beach...
reviews: 12
2. Re: highest elevation on road to Lake Atilan?

I agree. That's what I've read. Solola sits at about 6,000 feet and then it drops down to about 5,000 at the lake. You have higher elevations points in guatemala around the cuchumatanes mountains where it can easily get up to 8,000 feet above sea level. And maybe 9,000 feet.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 137
3. Re: highest elevation on road to Lake Atilan?

The Cuchumatanes hit 10,000 feet, I think, or very close; they're the highest nonvolcanic mountains in CA.

Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
reviews: 151
4. Re: highest elevation on road to Lake Atilan?

I have measured the maximum elevation on the road to Lake Atitlan at 8500 ft. above sea level. This is just outside of Los Encuentros, near the road to Chichi. You would not be at this elevation for more than 15 minutes. The maximum elevation in all of Central America is between there and Xela, at 10,500 above sea level.

Chicago
reviews: 634
5. Re: highest elevation on road to Lake Atilan?

Kayak-atitlan, I never would have guessed that it gets that high on the road. I do know it can feel darn chilly up there. I'm glad to know that information.

Massachusetts
6. Re: highest elevation on road to Lake Atilan?

MANY MANY thanks for your help/replies - just what I was looking to find out.

Bethesda, MD
7. Re: highest elevation on road to Lake Atilan?

I didn't know the altitude, but as Kayak points out, the highest point on the inter-american highway is on the approach to Los Encuentros, near the mirador. I believe the only area in Guatemala where a road gets above 10,000 feet is in the altiplano of San Marcos, where it's the highest road in Central America.

Massachusetts
8. Re: highest elevation on road to Lake Atilan?

thank you

9. Re: highest elevation on road to Lake Atilan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, October 26, 2012