We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Practicality of travelling to Guatemala from Dec 25-Jan2?

Which Guatemala City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Haven
reviews: 61
Practicality of travelling to Guatemala from Dec 25-Jan2?

Hello all,

My family and I are looking into travelling to Gautemala from the US Northeast, leaving on Christmas and returning Jan2.

Using those dates we have non stops available as well are very reasonable costs compared to any other date combinations.

However I was wondering if we arrive on Christmas day, will anything be open, will there be services to, for example, take us from the airport to Antigua or fly to Tikal (haven't yet decided on the itinerary) but we only have 7-8 days.

Same questions re Jan 2.

Does the country shut down, slow down during that week? Would booking guides, tours be difficult during that week?

Thanks

C. Litwin

Los Angeles...
reviews: 49
11. Re: Practicality of travelling to Guatemala from Dec 25-Jan2?

I don’t want to seem snooty but I have flown to Guatemala the last two years for less than $350 each time. Once was in August, bought my ticket in April- right after spring break. The second was in November, bought my ticket in May or June. And I'm planning to go this December, bought my ticket in April- after spring break. It’s all about looking and looking. As soon as I have a planned date I look and look almost every day early in the morning and late at night. Sometimes if I can't sleep I'll look online for tickets. I'm also a little flexible on my days. This year I had to extend a few days or else it would be in the price range many of you mentioned since its high season. I am aware not everyone is as flexible as I am on schedule so what a friend does, who flies to Guatemala around the same price as me, he just plays around with dates until he finds a price or day he can fly. TA has helped in the last year with searching tickets for family members and my own this year. And yes my prices include tax and flying out of LAX

New Mexico
12. Re: Practicality of travelling to Guatemala from Dec 25-Jan2?

We are thinking of a trip at a similar time but are just beginning to plan. Where are you at with your plans? I would love to hear what you have decided are must sees and how you decided to get around. I have heard private drivers are an option?

13. Re: Practicality of travelling to Guatemala from Dec 25-Jan2?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:28 am, May 07, 2011