We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning my honeymoon

Which Guatemala hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Antonio, Texas
Planning my honeymoon

I have been to Guat before. Now I'd like to go back and go to some places I haven't been.

My trip is going to be 2 weeks long. I was thinking perhaps 1-2 days in Antigua, 2 days in Pana (with a day trip to Chichi).

We are not going to have a car so ideally I'd like to have a driving service. I want to go to Rio Dulce, Livingston, & maybe Tikal. Is a week & a half enough to do that while traveling by car?

In which order would you hit all those spots? Or would it matter?

Thanks for any advice, tips or input. I'm in the early stages of planning so ideas are still percolating :)

5 replies to this topic
San Antonio, Texas
1. Re: Planning my honeymoon

I would also love to go to Copan in Honduras. It's a lot to do in not a very long amount of time. I would probably forgo Chichi & Tikal if that gave me more time to go to Copan. Not sure how realistic in that timespan

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 137
2. Re: Planning my honeymoon

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

If you're minimizing time in Antigua and Lake Atitlán, then 2 weeks is sufficient to see the others. Maybe you could fly 1 way between Guatemala City and Flores (for Tikal) in order to avoid another long day or night on a bus.

I'm not sure it would seem worth it to me to spend just 2 nights on Atitlán if you're planning to visit Chichi on the full day. If you want to experience Chichi in that time frame, you could head up on a Saturday, spend the night there, and shuttle back to Antigua or GC mid day. That way you'd get to see the best bits - market set up, church step activities, and the gorgeous produce market in the commercial building that most visitors miss - and leave or head to a restaurant for brunch before the crowds of day trippers arrive.

You could do a sort of loop: head to Copán, then Rio Dulce/Livingston, then Flores/Tikal, then back to GC and fly home (or reverse).

A few caveats to that idea that would matter to me, though maybe not to you and your beloved. I love Atitlán so much that I spend the bulk of every trip there plus I know I'm going to head back to Guatemala over and over; I typically add 1 place or 2 I haven't been before each trip in order to return to places I love. I don't like spending most of my trip in really hot places, either - spoiled by the eternal spring weather of the highlands - so that's a consideration for me.

My photos with blog and travelogue links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Happy planning! flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

New York City, New...
reviews: 120
3. Re: Planning my honeymoon

Hi henryfigaro, I have been to Guatemala City, Tikal, Antigua, Pana and ChiChi and I would not want to talk anyone out of going to see any of those places. But I also really liked Copan Honduras, too. Here is a link to my trip report on getting there (and you can read my reviews of Copan on that forum in Trip Advisor), this might help you out if you decide to make the trek.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g292022-i9586-k539…

And remember, the most important part of the wedding is planning the honeymoon! ;-) Congrats!!

Antigua, Guatemala
4. Re: Planning my honeymoon

This is a link to my business. We use Classic/customized Land Rovers for our tours and the best part about our service is that the whole trip is customized to fit your interests. Here's a link to our site for more info. Regards, Tyson

http://www.guatemala4x4tours.com/

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 4
5. Re: Planning my honeymoon

Tyson C, TripAdvisor guidelines prohibit using the forums to promote your business, so you probably should remove your post before it's cited by someone as inappropriate.

Reply to: Planning my honeymoon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted