We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in May for Antigua and Lake Atitlan

Which Guatemala hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
reviews: 116
Weather in May for Antigua and Lake Atitlan

We're putting the fnishing touches on our trip to Guatemala in late May. I've checked websites for the weather, and know that it is the rainy season, but I can't get a handle on if the rain is accompanied by fog. I don't mind a little rain but it would be devastating to not be able to see the famous volcanoes because of fog. Can anyone clue me in on this issue?

Bethesda, MD
reviews: 23
1. Re: Weather in May for Antigua and Lake Atitlan

Generally, mornings will be clear and the rain will come in the afternoon or evening. On occasions when it has been overcast, I've still been able to see the volcanoes. It's been years since I can remember waking up to a foggy morning in Guatemala.

San Francisco...
reviews: 116
2. Re: Weather in May for Antigua and Lake Atitlan

That's a relief! Thanks for the info.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 28
3. Re: Weather in May for Antigua and Lake Atitlan

Hey shario, we have been in lake atitlan staying in San de Cruz for 10 days now (April 2013), and we can only see the volcano for 2 days as there is fog or burn off most mornings till sun down & while you do get sun in the morning, it does not in anyway clear the fog, rest of the day is overcast & foggy ie: you cannot see the volcano from morning till sun down. We have been told by 1 local this is only typical of April (and month of fly season), and in May when rain season starts, you are suppose to get clear mornings to see the volcanos. But another local who lived here all his life tell us that its going to stay foggy until June. So it's hard to know who to believe. Luckily, with or with the volcano, the lake is still beautiful & relaxing. At the end of the day, its nature!

4. Re: Weather in May for Antigua and Lake Atitlan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 16, 2014