We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

someone please help--need to find a certain car rental

Which Costa Rica hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City
reviews: 33
someone please help--need to find a certain car rental

Sometime ago I saw a post on this forum about a company that rents older jeeps with all prices included. They had a very simple website. I can't find the company. Could someone please help me out which company that was?

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
1. Re: someone please help--need to find a certain car rental

I don't know of any rental car companies that rent Jeeps, old or new. Jeeps are not that popular in Costa Rica and you don't see very many of them.

Renting an "older Jeep" is probably not a good idea.

I would look at some of the newer, small SUV's at agencies such as Vamos or Wild Rider.

New York City
2. Re: someone please help--need to find a certain car rental

sorry, I meant an SUV. i drive a sedan myself so anything that looks like a jeep is a jeep to me. i need to rent it in san jose near sjo and return it to tamarindo. i presume my options are limited. there was a post about this car rental that is local, run by an american expat, they have older cars and they include all the charges into their prices. i think their flat fee was something like $37 per day. now i can't find the post or the website.

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
reviews: 61
3. Re: someone please help--need to find a certain car rental

There was a discussion last month re: renting Jeeps so maybe this is your thread

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g309293-i1208-k672…

but it only confirms what Hattie just posted and what several of us commented on re: availability of Jeeps in CR. Agree with Hattie, I've never seen one in a rental fleet.

Costa Rica
4. Re: someone please help--need to find a certain car rental

Budget has an office in Tamarindo and they get good reviews here. Another option is to use Vamos or one of the other good agencies and turn the car in at their agency near the Liberia airport and then get transportation to Tamarindo.

All agencies will rent SUV's.

New York City
5. Re: someone please help--need to find a certain car rental

yep, this is it. thanks so much.

Toronto
6. Re: someone please help--need to find a certain car rental

Check out these threads before you dive in. Sounds like this company might be one to avoid.

tripadvisor.ca/…51863757

Costa Rica
7. Re: someone please help--need to find a certain car rental

Just so you know - Dean Krieg, owner of Dean's 4x4 referenced in the posts pointed to by RancoLasColinas, was killed in an automobile accident a few days ago. Not sure what this means for the company -- but as written, it's one to stay away from.

New York City
8. Re: someone please help--need to find a certain car rental

Yikes. So sorry to hear that. We ended up reserving with dollar and as it stands now may end up cancelling because they seem unable to send us a correct receipt. They tried 10 times already. Very frustrating. The receipts they jeep sending have inaccurate data w r t time of return and place. And I dont want to be charged extra for it.

San Jose, Costa Rica
reviews: 1
9. Re: someone please help--need to find a certain car rental

Momcy123...

I use Dollar all the time, Diego from the marketing department is the one who always help me; give him a call, I recommend him.

Waterloo, Canada
10. Re: someone please help--need to find a certain car rental

A few companies that get mainly good reviews on here that I believe have all the mandatory insurance costs included:

- Tricolor

- Wild Rider (gets exceptional reviews)

- Adobe

- Toyota

- Sixt (not nearly as popular in costa rica, but a respected international brand)