We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kids, car seats and public transportation

Which Costa Rica hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 3
Kids, car seats and public transportation

We are planning a trip to CR with our three kids, aged 3, 7 and 10. We were hoping to not rent a car, but assumed that there may be an occasion or two where we would need one. I just read that the car seat regulations are pretty strict. This would mean three car seats. I don't want to carry these around as luggage if we are only going to use them a couple times.

We are looking at going to Monteverde, and either Nicoya Peninsula, or Manuel Antonio, after flying into San Juan. Can most things be accessed without a private car? Also, would seats be required in the hotel shuttles?

thanks!

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
1. Re: Kids, car seats and public transportation

Car seats, by law, must be provided by the rental car company. They might need a few days notice to make sure they have the right seats for your kids so keep that in mind.

Here's more about it: morphovans.com/child-seat-requirements-in-co…

Most things can be accessed without having a car by using taxis and organized tours. But having a car will give you a lot of freedom and flexibility, especially with kids.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 1
2. Re: Kids, car seats and public transportation

How difficult is it to arrange taxi service that includes car seats? We are also planning a trip with kids (ages 6 and 8) and were hoping to rely on taxis. I assume the transfer service from the airport should be able to provide the seats if we ask for them when we book, but what about short casual trips around the Arenal and Manuel Antonio areas?

San Jose, Costa Rica
3. Re: Kids, car seats and public transportation

Any proffesional transfer service or shuttle company...HAVE to provide the seats at NO charge...it is by law and of course common sense...any ride longer than a few meters can be dangerous without car seats or boosters...do it for the kids safety...

roadadvisori

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
4. Re: Kids, car seats and public transportation

I would ask at your lodging. They can call one of the taxi drivers they use and explain about the need for car seats. There are some local companies that have offices in various areas and they might "store" the car seats there for taxis to use where they can be picked up. At any rate, I don't think you will find just any old taxi driving around with car seats. Maybe a bit of advanced planning would be in order here.

5. Re: Kids, car seats and public transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 24, 2014