We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Specifics on crossing the border to Nicaragua

Which Costa Rica hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rahway, New Jersey
reviews: 51
Specifics on crossing the border to Nicaragua

We will be taking a bus from Liberia and want to cross on foot (not take the tourist bus that goes directly across). I just want to make sure I have all the info, so a few questions...

We will take a taxi to the bus station in Liberia. Is there more than 1 station? Do I need to specify or just say bus station?

http://www.thebusschedule.com/cr/index.php seems to indicate buses every 45 minutes via a company called Tranbasa. Is this the only company? So I will look for the Tranbasa bus marked Peñas Blancas, and it should cost under $10?

Entrance fee on foot = $7 and we do not need to pay the Costa Rica departure tax, right?

We will then take taxis to & from San Juan del Sur. When we return to Costa Rica, the re-entrance fee is $3? And how will we find the bus back to Liberia?

Sorry if this is really over thinking... I just want to make the trip as efficient as possible! We are staying 2 nights so hopefully it will be better than some of the nightmarish day trip stories.

22 replies to this topic
Bx
reviews: 18
11. Re: Specifics on crossing the border to Nicaragua

"guttersnipes" Micky And you seriously wonder why your posts get removed???

I would say that is an accurate description. What is the one word you would use instead that accurately describes the children who take all the immigration forms with the knowledge and acquiescence of the immigration officials and then sell them to you even though they are supposed to be provided directly by immigration staff?

My posts get removed by someone who does not want the massive amount of negative but accurate and pertinent information to come to light.

Costa Rica
reviews: 24
12. Re: Specifics on crossing the border to Nicaragua

I would suggest, Mickey, that you take a look at the Trip Advisor guidelines. Probably the easiest way to do this is to look at the section where you can write a reply and see the "community guidelines" there.

I have to say, I do think that you sometimes go "over the top." But I also think you have a lot to contribute if you could just "tone it down" a bit.

Edited: 12:15 pm, April 05, 2013
Barrie, Canada
reviews: 25
13. Re: Specifics on crossing the border to Nicaragua

I going to go with “disadvantaged children”

Edited: 12:18 pm, April 05, 2013
reviews: 83
14. Re: Specifics on crossing the border to Nicaragua

We took a morning bus from Liberia at 7, was through the border before all of the tour buses got there and had almost no hassle. Except for the touts selling immigration cards that are free from the Nicaragua border officials. Remember to bring small usd for lame 1$ exit fee and $12 each Nicaragua entrance fee for USA citizens.

Costa Rica
15. Re: Specifics on crossing the border to Nicaragua

Thanks, Keyrez.

It's always much better to leave early early and miss the bus traffic. It can be disheartening to pull up to the building and see 3 or 4 buses ahead of you! And these are not the 12-passenger tour buses, but regular 50 or 60 passenger buses, both Costa Rican buses and international buses such as Tica Bus.

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
reviews: 10
16. Re: Specifics on crossing the border to Nicaragua

My dictionary gives a definition of a 'guttersnipe' as:

noun - a scruffy and badly behaved child who spends most of their time on the street.

disadvantaged children? oh, come on......

guttersnipe gets my vote..... it is accurate and descriptive, leaning to the derogatory side, but it hits the nail on the head.

I appreciate all the information everyone has given to cross the border, I have always wanted a step-by-step account of the process and will file it away for a future trip north. Thanks!

Edited: 1:59 am, April 22, 2013
Costa Rica
17. Re: Specifics on crossing the border to Nicaragua

I would just lighten up a bit.

What you will find are kids from really poor families of the area that are just trying to make a buck. Really, will it kill you to pay them something for the "free" form? At least they went to the trouble to get the form and bring it to you.

You will also find other people selling food and drinks.

18. Re: Specifics on crossing the border to Nicaragua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:02 pm, April 24, 2013

19. Re: Specifics on crossing the border to Nicaragua

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

20. Re: Specifics on crossing the border to Nicaragua

Reply to: Specifics on crossing the border to Nicaragua
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted