We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise me on these car rental offers...

Which Costa Rica hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gurgaon, India
Advise me on these car rental offers...

Hi,

I have received the following quotes for a toyota yaris, automatic transmission, (or similar) for 1 week:

1. Europcar : $234 (with theft + collision damage waiver LDW) or $332 where liability falls from $900 to $0

2. Budget: $305 including CDW or $368 with super collision damage waiver

3. thrifty: $283 with basic insurance or $340 with supplemental liability insurance.

Hoping for some guidance as each company uses different terminology.

Thanks!

Edited: 7:17 am, February 07, 2013
Toronto
1. Re: Advise me on these car rental offers...

Options 1 and 2 do not seem to include the mandatory SLI (or TPL) as some call it. You will likely be in for a surprise when you pick up the car.

Option 3 seems to include it, but the inclusive rate seems too low. Thrifty usually charges about $18-20 per day for SLI.

London, England...
reviews: 81
2. Re: Advise me on these car rental offers...

We paid $18 a day extra through Thrifty for the 'full' insurance package.

Gurgaon, India
3. Re: Advise me on these car rental offers...

Rancho,

Option 1 offers Zero liability. Isn't that the best you can get?

What is basic insurance?

Is CDW equivalent to SLI or TPL?

Thanks for the info guys!

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 9
4. Re: Advise me on these car rental offers...

Basic insurance would be the mandatory insurance which is third party. CDW isn't an insurance it is collision liability waiver. It can be zero CDW, which means you pay nothing if the car is damaged but check the small print as this won't include the inside of the car and may not include tires, windscreen and the underside of the vehicle (all the things that are most commonly damaged!). Many US credit cards will cover the CDW but the basic insurance is a legal requirement and there's no escaping it!

x5india - all three of the companies above are worth checking further on this forum to see what reviews other users have written about them. You'll find that Alamo., Adobe, Service, Wildrider and Vamos are frequently recommended.

5. Re: Advise me on these car rental offers...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 pm, February 27, 2013
6. Re: Advise me on these car rental offers...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 01, 2014