We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2-3 weeks to explore

Which Costa Rica hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 310
2-3 weeks to explore

sorry to not have done any research, as yet, but need advise on a trip to costa rica. we would go mid, lower range, would love to have our own place (love to cook and eat fresh, local food) , beach, history, rain forest..

what do we need to see and do?

we are adventurous, have driven in many countries, love to ride the local busses (don't like to get lost, tho!!) have traveled alot, vietnam, thailand (few times), morocco, turkey, croatia and the like..

please give me a hint and i will do more research.

thanks alot in advance!

oh, and would love to surf...if it wasn't too expensive.

Playa Conchal...
reviews: 57
1. Re: 2-3 weeks to explore

www.visitcostarica.com/ict/paginas/home.asp…

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: 2-3 weeks to explore

Check Uvita beach and Dominical.-..very much what you are looking for...just be sure to check with locals about rip tides...also to start check Tikivillas in Uvita beach...lovely place...great host...Thomas is the best!

roadadvisor

idaho
Destination Expert
3. Re: 2-3 weeks to explore

love the tikivillas...just our kind of place...thank you so much.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
4. Re: 2-3 weeks to explore

It will help us if you let us know for how many days you plan to stay in Costa Rica, and in what month.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
5. Re: 2-3 weeks to explore

Damn, too slow to edit my post. Here I go again.

Rent a car. Small 4x4 SUV like Daihatsu Terios will take you to all those off the beaten path locations.

Pacific coast, south to north: Osa Peninsula (Puerto Jimenez/Cabo Matapalo or Drake Bay), Dominical /Uvita, Santa Teresa/Montezuma.

Caribbean coast north to south: Sarapiqui, Tortuguero, Cahuita/Puerto Viejo/Manzanillo.

Choose one coast and add some inland locations like Arenal, Monteverde and/or Cerro de la Muerte.

JENSEN BEACH
reviews: 39
6. Re: 2-3 weeks to explore

Check the bus schedules online. I took the public bus from San Jose to Punta Uva which was really cheap with no problems at all. Also took one up to Puriscal. Nice buses and no worries. Once you arrive at a more remote location you can always rent a vehicle for a day or two if necessary. Currently looking at some neat places on VRBO in El Castillo and Moneteverde areas that rent very reasonably and give you the independent traveler feeling with full kitchens, outdoor bbqs etc. The weekend markets I have visited so far have unbelievably fresh produce even compared to what we get here in S Florida. Also the fresh seafood avail is terrific and fun to experiment cooking with. VRBO has places all over CR. Enjoy the Adventure. Can't wait for our next trip! We'll combine self catering VRBO choices with other places like TikiVillas for the best of both in our view.

idaho
Destination Expert
7. Re: 2-3 weeks to explore

sorry, in another post, i mentioned 2-3 weeks, and it would be in may or september.

thank you obxpat, just what we are looking for. will look into that. we love to be independent, and pray that the houses we rent are good!! hiring a car, at a location is great..thanks

idaho
Destination Expert
8. Re: 2-3 weeks to explore

xelas,

great ideas too, now just have to get busy. wish there was a good travel book, but hear that they are all out of date!

JENSEN BEACH
reviews: 39
9. Re: 2-3 weeks to explore

Toucanstay in Punta Uva is kind of a unique place to stay. Secure with a fridge and coffee pot and good chance of using the common area kitchen downstairs which is spacious and well equipped. Very clean and comfortable. AC if you choose to use it. You'll be awake early as howler monkeys are everywhere. Bikes are complimentary and can take you up to Manzanillo or into PV if you choose not to rent a vehicle or take the public bus. Taxis also avail tho not really needed. Great beach just steps away and a small pulperia just across the st also serves as a bus stop. Small place with a lovely garden. 2 Studios and Owner's Residence. A few decent grocery stores in PV and also a weekend fresh market full of organic products. Fun stay on the Caribbean side.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
10. Re: 2-3 weeks to explore

I have MOON guide book. Not all accommodations are listed there but it is very useful for putting together a basic itinerary. Country does not change so fast (apart of Arenal volcano) so reading it you will get the most important facts for travel. If anything then try to consider these two suggestions:

1. rent a car

2. go for 3 weeks

And don't try to "check out" all locations; many are returning to Costa Rica for 10+ years and yet have to visit them all. Less is more!