We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BAD experience with LATEROOMS.com - Hotel Baldi

Which Costa Rica hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
BAD experience with LATEROOMS.com - Hotel Baldi

sadly its not possible to review Travel Agency here on Tripadvisor but I really want to share this experience with others.

So here is my story:

I made reservation for a hotel but a day later I got an answer that this Hotel is not available but I could book Hotel Baldi Resort & Spa (4*). I decided to do that. (booked a room for 3 days - which i left after 2 days on my own risk)

Once I arrived at the hotel, it took me only few hours to realize that I do not want to stay there. It was moldy, dirty, service was terrible, food was terrible, music was loud until 10pm and it was Christmas Day. I felt like I was in Disneyland and not in Resort & Spa Hotel. Anyway, I tried to get in contact with Laterooms.com within the same day but I received an answer 2 days later (which was OK, i understand that most people spend their time with families for Christmas). I told him about the Hotel conditions and he wanted to have more information, he asked me to send him the information and photos, which i did.

1.) LATEROOMS.com IS NOT A RELIABLE TRAVEL AGENCY

First response to my complaint: "Upon checking I can see that the resort does not currently feature any reviews from previous guests so you would have been unaware of any potential problems..IT IS ADVISABLE to CHECK on OTHER accommodation/travel WEBSITES to see if any previous guests have encountered issues..."

few days later i got this response from Laterooms.com:

"Furthermore I MUST ADVISE that TRIP ADVISOR is NOT a RELIABLE source as you are not required to have stayed at the property in order to leave a review.."

Ok, so I am not really sure what they want. They do not provide any reviews for the Hotel but I should not read the reviews on Trip Advisor (which by the way was very helpful website on my whole trip).

2.) LATEROOMS.com AVOIDING COMPLAINTS (Their motto must be: "We are not responsible for anything you might have experienced, but to collect your money..")

They wrote:

"complete the review and submit the details to LateRooms.com. We can then place this onto the website for the benefit of future guests...so future guests can be made aware."

GREAT, I did all this writing, collection, money spending - so Laterooms.com can have a first review of the Hotel??

3.) LATEROOMS.com IS SHOWING HIGHER HOTEL RATING (maybe for better pricing, hotel commission??)

The same Hotel Baldi Resort & Spa is rated on Expedia and Hotel.com as 3 star hotel as some others as well. I wrote to Laterooms.com to ask them why are they providing a wrong information to their customer? Hotel is in bad conditions (never 4 star Hotel, really bad service) and bad reviews on TripAdvisor.

They responded simply "its self-classified hotel".

There is nothing they want to do about it. They will sell it as 4* Hotel to the next customer and next and next.....money making machine!

4.) LATEROOMS.com CUSTOMER SERVICE IS CHAOS

Each time i wrote i had someone else replying (which is OK with me, as long as I do not have to say things over and over again). They kept asking me to send the information again.

5.) TOTAL COSTS (be careful in which currency you book)

I have booked the hotel in USD and once I finally had the booking on my Master Card it was in CRC. I checked on currency rates for the past 4 weeks and there was no difference. So i was wondering why do I pay $10 more?

I wrote to Laterooms.com but all they responded was "ask the hotel to send you the invoice". I asked the Hotel for the invoice, but they never replied. So again, I am the stupid customer and i have to do everything on my own and of course bring CASH!

5. REVIEWING THE HOTEL

I decided to make that first review for the Hotel, and post pictures but this have to be approved by the Hotel because not Lateroom.com is uploading this information. Its the Hotel who is uploading and approving everything...so far the review has not been approved. This might take years....

SUMMARY. ----------------------------------------------------------

Laterooms.com did not try to get in contact with the Hotel, did not try to help me, instead they kept asking me for Information. They are also not ready to change the wrong rating of this Hotel so they will still sell it as 4 star Hotel.

Even though Tripadvisor is full of complaints, they say that Tripadvisor is not reliable. And of course I am just one customer, why would they believe me or TripAdvisor (as a bas source)..we are all liars.

I should have just booked my room with Expedia or Hotel.com as I normally do. But I decided to try something new. And Laterooms.com is definitely the last place where I will book again.

I guess if the Hotel would be OK, I would not have even noticed the bad service of Laterooms.com because normally thats how it works (you book and you are happy). But you learn about the service when you really need some help...and there are only few good travel agencies left. :(

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
44,951 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: BAD experience with LATEROOMS.com - Hotel Baldi

To bad...sorry...first time ever I heard any thing about LATEROOMS good or bad...good to know...

roadadvisor

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
8,723 posts
58 reviews
2. Re: BAD experience with LATEROOMS.com - Hotel Baldi

JanaDia, living is learning (or is it the other way around?). First I have to disagree with your statement that this company is a travel agency. Looking at their website is clearly stated that their main goal is to sell empty rooms with discount. So is a hotel room broker. Do you buy stocks? You need a broker. He collects provision irrelevant if the stocks are going up or falling down next day. Same thing here. I am also surprised by your decision to book a hotel which your research shows as not reliable one. There are literally hundreds of hotels in that area and one can find a room even at highest of seasons, like Christmas. The lesson learned is that booking directly with a hotel, after proper research has been done, is much better option. And if problems arise (they do) you know by name and face whom to critique. BTW, neither Expedia neither Hotel would give you any better service.

JanaDia, sorry for this too long expose. I have no intentions to teach you, but am using your example to point out potential problems with "middle man" companies, specially those that exists and works only on and through internet. I hope that the rest of your travel to Costa Rica was much better, and that one day you will return to this country for more.

Edited: 4:08 pm, January 14, 2013
Manchester, United...
5 posts
3. Re: BAD experience with LATEROOMS.com - Hotel Baldi

Hey JanaDia,

I'm really sorry to read about your bad experience while using our site. We do strive to give all our customers the best possible experience, so it's disappointing to read that that hasn't been the case on this occasion. So that we can investigate further, please drop us a quick email with your booking reference number (if you still have it) to hello@laterooms.com and we'll chase it up ASAP.

Kind regards,

Rich

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,084 posts
43 reviews
4. Re: BAD experience with LATEROOMS.com - Hotel Baldi

Ahhh... The power of the internet...

Looks like Late Rooms is listening to you now Janadia. Funny for a company that was a bit disrespectful towards TA as a legitimate source of info to be so quick to respond. This topic was started only yesterday, they must have radar.

Good luck, hope you get refunded in full. Lateroomsdotcom, balls in your court.

5. Re: BAD experience with LATEROOMS.com - Hotel Baldi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 17, 2014