We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comments on Planned Trip

Which Costa Rica hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego
Comments on Planned Trip

We have a total of 8 nights in Costa Rica. I would love to get some comments and help on our trip. It's a honeymoon trip and we want a mixture of some adventure and some kick back relaxation.

1. Arrive San Jose and stay near airport for next day flight out.

2-5. Fly to PJ for 4 nights at Bosque del Cabo

6-8 Fly from PJ up to Tamarindo via San Jose and either stay somewhere like Casa Cook and Capt. Suizo or rent a car and drive down to Samara and stay at Kalimba??

8. Fly to SJ and then back to CA.

The one thing I'm wondering is whether or not we should skip the Northern Coast and do Arenal instead??????? Definately want to explore but don't want to hike everyday......Totally enjoy a cocktail on the beach, horsebackriding, maybe a zip line tour, Kayaking.....rafting sounds fun too.

Comments???????

New York City, New...
1. Re: Comments on Planned Trip

Have you considered the beaches around Zancudo and Pavones, south of Golfito and a water taxi away across the Golfo Dulce from Puerto Jimenez? Isolated and beautiful... Tamarindo it's not, but if you were seeking the more subdued Samara and were willing to take two planes an a drive to get there, it might just be up your alley. Don't look for zip lines there, but horeseback riding and boating around are givens. Wouldn't do it in Sept/Oct because of the rain, though... then I'd definitely head north.

You could also fly direct from Puerto Jimenez to Quepos and spend the rest of your time in the Manuel Antonio Area. You'll have the beach and activities for sure, but the nature there might seem too similar and on the inferior side after your stay at Bosque in Cabo Matapalo...

San Diego
2. Re: Comments on Planned Trip

Thanks....actually we are going in October which is why I wanted to head North. Samara is not considered North?

Those areas, Zancudo seem very remote???? Bugs?? The town seems neat though.

When places say they are on the quiet end of Tamarindo....is it truly quiet. I'm not really into the Tamarindo thing from what I've been reading.

New York City, New...
3. Re: Comments on Planned Trip

Zancudo is quite isolated. From Golfito (already isolated), it's another 30 minute water taxi or 1.5 hour 4x4 drive. But you're already down that way, a convenient water taxi/ferry ride away from Puerto Jimenez. Once you're there, the place feels remote. Only a handful of accomodations and not really going on. Which is the appeal. Feels different than the also-remote Bosque in Cabo Matapalo since it's beach on one side and river estuary on the other side. Definitely a slice of paradise...

Actually, I withdraw my "don't go in Sept/Oct" statement since you obviously were okay enough with the weather to book Bosque del Cabo for that time of the year. If you're interested in exploring the possibility, I'd contact Oasis on the Beach (formerly the Zancudo Beach Club), Sol y Mar, Tiskita Lodge down in Pavones or any of the other lodgings and pick their brain about weather. October is the height of the rainy season all over CR so I don't know if it'll be any worse there than elsewhere.

BTW, you can fly directly into Samara from San Jose. No need to fly to Tamarindo and drive from there.

San Diego
4. Re: Comments on Planned Trip

I'm not too worried about the rain but that's why I thought the Northern Pacific would offer some dryer weather to the trip.

Only problem is the Samara only has one flight a day and does not fit into the schedule!

Lodges in Zancudo LOOK very rustic......not sure I can handle it. Have you stayed there?

New York City, New...
5. Re: Comments on Planned Trip

Sol y Mar... Pretty rustic. Some of the other accomodations are more upscale, but rustic is the theme. Oasis on the Beach has some beachfront cabinas.

A quick check of Sansa's website shows that there are two flights from SJO to Samara, and a 7am flight out of Puerto Jimenez looks like it will connect you with the second flight. It'll be an early morning, but...

NY
reviews: 1
6. Re: Comments on Planned Trip

Why go to a beach area if you can go to Arenal and experience something very different from Bosque del Cabo?

www.arenal.com - a lot of info on Arenal area

http://www.costarica.com/Home/Weather/Temperature_Rainfall,_%7Damp;_Humidity/By_Cities_%7Damp;_Towns - weather averages:

In October Corcovado & Golfito - 28 in. of rain average, Manuel Antonio - 25, Arenal - 17, Nicoya (by Samara) - 16, Liberia - 11 (you can choose a beach around there or stay at Rincon de la Vieja volcano area).

If you decide on Samara but can't fly into Samara I would suggest you fly into Liberia and drive from there - the road would be better than from Tamarindo.

San Isidro de El...
reviews: 42
7. Re: Comments on Planned Trip

Honestly, I would stay north if you can. The southern Osa is a little later getting out of the rainy season than other parts of the country. Generally mid Nov is when the rains start letting up down there. Even Nov has an average of 20-22 inches per year. October has the highest amount. Obviously weather patterns can differ year to year but it does stay pretty rainy down there. A little further up in the Drake Bay area the rains are a little less at that time.

Rafting anywhere could be touch and go. More rain means more chance that the trips will be canceled. You can go rafting out of Fortuna and you could wait until the day before to find out if the trips are running and book then rather than having to deal with getting your money back if you pre-book..

I personally would think about a few days in La Fortuna then head up north someplace. Even if you can't see the volcano there are things to do in La Fortuna. How about a nice couples massage or a relaxing soak in a volcano heated pool. We hiked on the old lava bed in some fog that was way denser than I had seen in many years and it was really neat.

From La Fortuna you can head in many directions. Private shuttle buses go just about anywhere.

http://samarabeach.com/

Friends stayed at Villas Kalimba and enjoyed it there.

There are some lovely places all over the Nicoya and northward...Punta Islita (you can fly back to San Jose from there-roads can get tricky during rainy season if you drive), Capitan Suizo (Tamarindo area), Hotel Sugar Beach (Potrero area). It just depends on exactly what you are looking for in an area. Tamarindo would obviously offer more because it is a more developed area. Probably won't be terribly crowded that time of year.

Zancudo is an interesting little area. Zancudo is actually spanish for mosquito. Hmmmm why did they name the town that??? Rainy season might be a good time to find that out.

Another option would be to just head to Manuel Antonio. More choices for bars and restaurants. Might come in handy if it does rain. Lots of options for things to do as well.