We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewish/Kosher

Which Costa Rica hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Jewish/Kosher

Have any other Kosher travelers been to Costa Rica and found Kosher restaurants or food? Is there a Chabad?

Thank You

24 replies to this topic
San Jose, Costa Rica
1. Re: Jewish/Kosher

Around Rohrmoser there is a couple Kosher places...

Jabad Lubavitch de Costa Rica • From Banco General in Trejos Montealegre, Escazu, 50 meters west • S. Jose, • Costa Rica • 506-4010-1515

roadadvisor

Edited: 11:34 am, November 19, 2012
San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: Jewish/Kosher

yes, roadadvisor's right

here's their direct link: http://www.chabadcostarica.com/

outside of San Jose it get's harder

I'm pretty sure Tabacon Resort can accommodate kosher and high holiday meals. And I know the Marriott in SJO can, so perhaps their Los Suenos can as well...

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 16
3. Re: Jewish/Kosher

You can find some information on the website of the Centro Israelita Sionista (the orthodox conregation)

centroisraelita.com/centro_israelita_informa…

I have linked to the English page however there is more information about the community in the Spanish section.

If you plan to visit the synagogue or the museum that is in the same building - make sure you make the proper arrangements ahead of time. If you just show up hoping to get in - you probably won't.

raquel

Edited: 2:32 pm, November 19, 2012
Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
4. Re: Jewish/Kosher

what about lands in love on the way to arenal? is that kosher?

New York City
reviews: 2
5. Re: Jewish/Kosher

From everything i've heard there is only kosher in San Jose. For a hefty fee that will deliver to any area. Unless you are flying into SJO and don't mind taking a detour to pick up the food on the way to wherever you are going you are probably better bringing your own food. However, you need to find out what they allow you to bring in to the country.

Does anyone know if whats foods are now allowed in?

Texas City, Texas
6. Re: Jewish/Kosher

The best way is to search on internet. You will find many kosher and the nearest one to you.

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
7. Re: Jewish/Kosher

1. You won't find much in the way of kosher foods, period. And yes, that would be mostly in San Jose.

2. You cannot bring into the country any fruits or vegetables, plants or seeds. People have been able to bring vacuum packed meats and cheeses but I don't know if this is consistent. It is possible that some customs officers would say no. Basically, when you arrive, your luggage is xrayed and if they spot it there, they could question it. Of course, if you bring it in a separate cooler, there would be questions.

3. Check with the places you are thinking of visiting by email and ask them as well as the contacts that other people have given.

Bx
reviews: 18
8. Re: Jewish/Kosher

The only Jewish community of any size, that I know of, in between Mexico City and Sao Paulo, is in the area West of Central San Jose from Paseo Colone to Rohrmoser. As the years went by the community started moving Westward from downtown towards Pavas.

It is doubtful you will find Kosher food outside of Rorhmoser.

Although, the best falafel I found in Costa Rica, was an Israeli run kiosk in Tamirindo.

San Jose, Costa Rica
9. Re: Jewish/Kosher

I've been approached by young Chabad surfers wrappin Tefillen in Tamarindo...

For supplies in San Jose, try Little Israel in Los Laureles shopping center Escazu

Ontario
reviews: 5
10. Re: Jewish/Kosher

The Falafel Bar in Tamarindo is run by an Israeli Jewish family. I'm sure they would know.

Nice spot for lunch too!

Mike

Reply to: Jewish/Kosher
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted