We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary travel advice

Which Costa Rica hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Canada
reviews: 5
itinerary travel advice

Hi, I'm looking for advice on the itinerary I came up with so far.

I would like to include Arenal, Palo Verde and Rincon de la Vieja in our trip, and finish with some relaxation time in Santa Teresa. I've also heard that Monteverde is not to be missed, so I'm trying to pack it all up. Please kindly advise if it looks sane or if I should skip Monteverde/redistribute nights somehow.

We are planning to visit in the end of March. We'll be renting a car for the whole trip.

So far I have this:

D1 - Arrive late to SJO, sleep in Alajuela

D2 - drive to La Fortuna. Possibly visit Poas on the way.

D2 through D4 - sleep in La Fortuna. Arenal activities, Cano Negro trip. On D5 get to Monteverde.

D5/D6- sleep in Santa Elena, Monteverde/Santa Elena activies. Leave early on D7 for Rincon de la Vieja activities. (How long it takes to get there?)

D7 - sleep between Palo Verde and Rincon de la Vieja (Canas? Bagaces?), Palo Verde in the first half of day, drive to Santa Teresa the rest of the day

D8 through D12 - stay in Santa Teresa

D13 - get to Alajuela

D14 - leave early in the morning from SJO...

So far the part between Arenal and Santa Teresa feels like I'm trying to pack in too much? Should I skip Monteverde and split the two nights between RdlV and La Fortuna? How long would it take to get from Monteverde to Rincon de la Vieja (I'm under impression that it's around 3 hrs)? From Palo Verde to Santa Teresa? Do we need to drive through the penninsula or better to drive to Puntarenas and take the ferry? Lots of questions, hope someone can help...

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 54
1. Re: itinerary travel advice

Day 7 confuses me. First you say RdlV activities then Palo Verde; both are not doable in one day. IMO what is out of the way is RdlV. On day 7 leave Monteverde via Las Juntas and La Amistad bridge. There take boat tour to Palo Verde, and after that continue your travel to Santa Teresa on Peninsula side. From ST to Alajuela use ferry.

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: itinerary travel advice

Nice itinerary...chheck about the road between Poas and Sarapiqui...for some people is OK...for me and as a very personal opinion is not safe...

You really do not have to break the trip between Palo Verde and Rincon...but if you do...Hotel restaruante La PAcifica...great place...next to Pumas Sanctuary...some great rain forest cats there...nice and healthy...and a real Sanctuary not one to make money out of poor orphan animals!

roadadvisor

Winnipeg, Canada
reviews: 5
3. Re: itinerary travel advice

Thank you so much for your answers. This was an error on my part, it should have read "Leave early on D6 for Rincon de la Vieja" I do realize that it's not possible to cover both Palo Verde and Rincon de la Vieja in one day. In fact, I'm concerned whether one day each is enough or more is needed?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 54
4. Re: itinerary travel advice

IMO, two full days at each destination is minimum (excluding Palo Verde NP which could be a one day tour).

5. Re: itinerary travel advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, December 16, 2013