We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from San Jose airport (SJO) to Manuel Antonio

Which Costa Rica hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
reviews: 15
Transportation from San Jose airport (SJO) to Manuel Antonio

Hi Everybody,

I am going to Costa Rica for the first time this December (14th to 19th). I am really excited and looking forward to it.

I know there are few forums talking about transportation in Costa Rica, but even after reading them I still kinda confused on what/how/who to use to go from San Jose airport (SJO) to Manuel Antonio (near Quepos). What I am sure about is that I don't really want to rent a car. I would like to find a driver that can drive me and my friend there and 5 days later back to the airport safely and at a reasonable price. From the forums, it seems that some of you know Costa Rica very well and have really good tips. Would you please give me some input based on your personal experiences?

Thank you so much.

Cheers,

Vincent

San Jose, Costa Rica
1. Re: Transportation from San Jose airport (SJO) to Manuel Antonio

Dear Vincent...you are correct...some very nice people willing to drive you there...is only 3 hours each way...just be sure to find out about vehicles models and a bilingual drivers...

Also you can check with Interbus or Grayline...nice shuttle companies!

roadadvisor

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 16
2. Re: Transportation from San Jose airport (SJO) to Manuel Antonio

Hi HFS100Hz

There are many drivers mentioned and recommended in the forums. As a starter have a look at this thread

tripadvisor.ca/…40350363

Also the Top Question at the right side of the Costa Rica Forum Page about getting around in Costa Rica.

Expect to pay about $160 give or take each way for a driver, For that price if there are only two of you and the timing is right you can fly on Sansa or Natureair - though Sansa is more convenient as their terminal is right next to SJO - about a 5 minute walk.

Roadadvisor has given good info about checking out the companies and about the shared shuttles. A ride from near SJO (they don't pick up right at the airport) is about $40 per person. But again it is a question of whether their set times work for your arrival.

I would say, that given your dates - right before the Christmas/New Years rush you would not have to book the return driver until after you get there. Your hotel will be able to get a driver for you, or if you like the first one you could try to get him again (but of course no guarantee he will be available) Or who knows you may decide that you want to try flying back or even feel a bit adventurous and decide you might want to take the public bus back.

good luck

pura vida

raquel

Los Angeles...
reviews: 15
3. Re: Transportation from San Jose airport (SJO) to Manuel Antonio

Thank you so much Roadadvisor and Raquel !! This is very helpful. It gives me a good overview of my options.

4. Re: Transportation from San Jose airport (SJO) to Manuel Antonio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, December 15, 2013