We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricanes and my honeymoon

Which Costa Rica hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Queenstown
Hurricanes and my honeymoon

I'm really want to go to Costa Rica for my honeymoon (which will start about August 13th) but I'm not interested in dealing with bad weather. I know that it's impossible to predict the weather this far in advance, so I'm really just asking whether Costa Rica is really that affected by the hurricanes that hit the Caribbean. If not, then I'm probably more likely to just go with it. But if it does get pretty darn rainy, then I might think of going elsewhere... What do you think?

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
1. Re: Hurricanes and my honeymoon

Costa Rica is not usually hit by hurricanes. But they can bring heavy rains at times. It really depends on how large an area the hurricane covers and how close it comes to Central America.

August is deep in the rainy season but the weather is not the same all over the country. You can look at rainfall patterns here:

costa-rica-guide.com/Weather/WeatherMap.html

Keep in mind that Costa Rica is a small country with an ocean on either side and a mountain range that runs down the middle. So there are a number of weather systems involved.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
reviews: 3
2. Re: Hurricanes and my honeymoon

Even though it's the rainy season, July and August are referred to as 'little summer' as the weather can be quite nice. I would look for somewhere 'north', between Samara and Playa Coco and not worry about the weather!

San Jose, Costa Rica
3. Re: Hurricanes and my honeymoon

No record at all of any hurricane that hit Costa Rica direct in modern history...of course when is a huge one in the Caribbean our wheater change a lot...really nothing any body can do...

roadadvisor

Queenstown
4. Re: Hurricanes and my honeymoon

Thanks everyone! I was more concerned that my intentions to be a beach bum would be thwarted because of rains... I just know the hurricane season means more rain. Excellent to hear that none hit Costa Rica.

San Jose, Costa Rica
5. Re: Hurricanes and my honeymoon

You are WELCOME

roadadvisor

New Delhi, India
6. Re: Hurricanes and my honeymoon

I am also planning my honeymoon to costa rica. Is july a good time to go there?

I am planning my trip from july 10 to july 17 2012

New Delhi, India
7. Re: Hurricanes and my honeymoon

what places in costa rica are best. which airport should I land in costa rica so that I don't have to travel much in cost rica. I am looking for a touristy place.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 57
8. Re: Hurricanes and my honeymoon

The best places in Costa Rica requires a lot of travel and are not touristy. The one that will fit your criteria is Liberia airport (LIB) and Tamarindo.

San Jose, Costa Rica
9. Re: Hurricanes and my honeymoon

Yes July is a good month to travel to Costa Rica. We have 2 or 3 of weeks that are a little summer the veranillo de San Juan. You can fly to either aiport depending on your interests. If you fly to San Jose maybe visit Arenal, Monteverde, Manuel Antonio. If you fly to Liberia you can do Arenal, Montverde and Tamarindo Beach.

New Delhi, India
10. Re: Hurricanes and my honeymoon

Hey Guys I am In st thomas. I have one question? I want to go to BVI for one day and I have a valid passport. I want to know how can I get there and also Do I need to take the help of the tour company for clearance and getting back or I can take a ferry and explore the little Islands by myself. I am staying at the marriots. Please let me know which island should I prefer In BVI and things to cover from morning till evening. I will be coming back to ST thomas in the evening. Thanks In advance.

Regards