We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What 5 items are indispensable to you when traveling in CR?

Which Costa Rica hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
What 5 items are indispensable to you when traveling in CR?

This is a simple question to all the seasoned Costa Rica Travelers in the forum, pass on the knowledge to all the people coming for a visit to consider.

What 5 items do you never leave home without when traveling in and around Costa Rica?

We can forgo the obligatory bug spray, sun block, camera, binoculars, lose the generic, let’s get creative.

1. Trail Bars – Good to have some trail bars while hiking, I’m a man who likes a snack and these can really come in handy. Besides, you need a good snack while taking in some of the views you get here.

2. Crocks – Shoes to get wet in are crucial, if not crocks something that gets wet without getting wet. Crocks are perfect for river rafting, kayaking, and swimming in the ocean, anything having to do with water really. I had a run in with a Ray here many years ago. Got hit pretty hard in the foot, and believe me that stinger hurts like the dickens. Since that day I learned 2 things, always shuffle your feet when walking in the ocean, and for good measure, wear something on your feet if possible. P.S. Crocks are no good if you are swimming, just good for walking.

3. Compass – I don’t recommend folks get lost, but basic compass skills while hiking and going off the beaten path can mean life or death. This is only for folks going off on your own to explore. A compass takes up little space and can save your life.

4. Water Purifier – The water is pretty clean here, but it can also be nice to have a bit of extra protection. I like this little gadget – http://www.steripen.com/adventurer-opti If you travel a lot and go off the beaten path a lot, you will use it.

5. A Towel – Yea, I know that one is kind of generic, but I am particular about my towels… I will let the immortal words of the late great author Douglas Adams sum it up with the following:

"A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value - you can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a mini raft down the slow heavy river Moth; wet it for use in hand-to- hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or to avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mindboggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you - daft as a bush, but very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag = non-hitch hiker) discovers that a hitch hiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitch hiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitch hiker might accidentally have "lost". What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with." – The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy – Douglas Adams

There are my 5, feel free to chime in and add to the list folks.

Cheers

181 replies to this topic
Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
reviews: 3
1. Re: What 5 items are indispensable to you when traveling in CR?

I never leave home without Baby Wipes! Great for washing hands when there is no bathroom or no paper towels, and very refreshing for the face on hot days!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
2. Re: What 5 items are indispensable to you when traveling in CR?

I'll take it!

Baby wipes is a good one! - What else you got?

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 5
3. Re: What 5 items are indispensable to you when traveling in CR?

Small collapsible cooler that holds a six pack of cold beverages!

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
reviews: 61
4. Re: What 5 items are indispensable to you when traveling in CR?

Awww, you beat me to it cubanon! Great for in room cerveza, on the road water and cokes, and you never know when you'll see a roadside sale on ceviche and/or snapper! Also, high power head lamp. Thought this was an odd gift 8 years ago, use it ALL the time ... in dimly lit parking lots, finding the lock in the door, great for using in the room so as not to disrupt other travelers, peering into creepy closets and kitchen cupboards, endless. Fun post Inca, thanks! Lisa

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
5. Re: What 5 items are indispensable to you when traveling in CR?

Coolers and headlamps are good... How are you going to find your beer without a good headlamp?

Montezuma, Costa...
reviews: 8
6. Re: What 5 items are indispensable to you when traveling in CR?

I always opt for a sarong rather than a towel (even for guys) they are lighter, faster to dry & do the same job

Travel size hand sanitizer (much like the baby wipe idea)

Wrap a little duct tape & electrical tape around your pen (in case!) A very clever friend taught me that one.

Diarreah & NON-drowsy naseaua pills (i.e NOT gravol) for long bus journeys. You can get them here, but it helps to have a few with you, in case

Head Lamp, absolutely!

Arnica cream or gel - in case of bumps, bruises, etc - it works wonders. We go through it like mad and prescribe it to our horseback clients for sore backsides. As far as I know know you can't get it here

I think that's 6 - do I get a penalty?

Cheers,

Yella

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Washington
reviews: 7
7. Re: What 5 items are indispensable to you when traveling in CR?

Camamina lotion for the pesky bug bites.

Collapsable umbrella for the inevitable rain storm.

Patience - waiting in line at the bank, taking public transportation anywhere will take you longer than you think!

Money belt - don't want to lose your wallet, passport, etc. in downtown San Jose

Panadol in travel size

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
8. Re: What 5 items are indispensable to you when traveling in CR?

Good ones, Patience is KEY to surviving the Costa Rica landscape... Get used to a slower pace. Awesome advice.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
9. Re: What 5 items are indispensable to you when traveling in CR?

Travel sized hand sanitizer - YES - Awesome one to add to the list. Not familiar with the Arnica Cream but I am going to go looking for it, sounds handy.

Munich, Germany
reviews: 4
10. Re: What 5 items are indispensable to you when traveling in CR?

Binoculars to see all the beautiful birds and other wildlife up close :-)

Reply to: What 5 items are indispensable to you when traveling in CR?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted