We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't rent from Economy Car Rental in Costa Rica

Which Costa Rica hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh
reviews: 12
Don't rent from Economy Car Rental in Costa Rica

We had a terrible experience with Economy Car Rental in San Jose.

First off, we chose Economy because they were the only agency that said their car pick up was right at the airport and we had a tight schedule to get where we needed to before dark. The other agencies correctly stated that they were a short distance off site. Turns out Economy was right next to the other agencies. The only difference was the other agencies were straightforward about their location.

When we arrived at the Economy rental office we were told they didn't have the car we had ordered, because our flight was about 30 minutes late and they had given it away. They had our flight info so they could easily have determined that our flight was a few minutes late, and I find it hard to believe that after 30 minutes they assumed we weren't coming since we had secured the reservation with our credit card. They gave us an option of taking a more expensive car and paying the difference in rate, or taking a car that was too small for our group - and also not 4 wheel drive. After asking the manager to honor our agreement at the right price, and being turned down, we chose to pay the higher price because we didn't have time to go somewhere else.

The manager also insisted that we didn't need supplemental insurance on the car because he had looked our credit card up on the internet and he said we were covered, but when my husband noted that fact on the agreement, the manager ripped it up right in my husband's face and said you need to sign our agreeent as is just like everyone else. We ended up taking the extra insurance and paying for it, rather than get into a fight with the guy, or take the chance he was wrong and we'd need the insurance.

Once we were under way, and in need of four wheel drive on a steep muddy road, we discovered that the button to activate the 4 wheel drive was missing (just a hole where it was supposed to have been).

Overall- Economy was no bargain. Go with one of the "name brands"

153 replies to this topic
Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
reviews: 50
71. Re: Don't rent from Economy Car Rental in Costa Rica

Well, we've been here for a while. Too bad you didn't do this type of research before your trip. Alas, you are not alone in only finding out about this forum AFTER you've had a bad experience.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
72. Re: Don't rent from Economy Car Rental in Costa Rica

I just can not beleive what the Muñiz family is doing to Costa Rica tourims in general...OK tyo make money...but in the good old way...hard and honest work...the only way!

SORRY so SORRY to whom ever have had and will have any problems with Economy!

roadadvisor

Denver, Colorado
73. Re: Don't rent from Economy Car Rental in Costa Rica

DITTO!!!! Don't rent from Economy!

I am SO angry with myself for not researching this more before I decided to rent from them; we booked the reservation with them because of the "lower" prices, and I didn't think to look at the rest of the fees, i.e. insurance, mileage, foreigner=sucker, whatever else,.... We ended up paying $200-300 more. ARGHHH!!!

oh well, I hope that someone else is saved by this post. Costa Rica was still beautiful, but it still will be from a less expensive rental! LOOK ELSEWHERE OTHER THAN ECONOMY!!!

Brooklyn, New York
reviews: 62
74. Re: Don't rent from Economy Car Rental in Costa Rica

This company is a scam! I rented the car with the agreement that I would return it myself at the airport and paid an additional $30 for them to pick it up at the airport. When I got to the airport I was told that they didn't accept drop offs. I showed them our contract and they called the office but told me no one was available to pick it up. I asked for someone to examine the car but because they didn't have the original documents on the conditions the car was in when I got it all they could do was sign that I returned it. After going back and forth for a bit I had to decide to leave given that we had to go to customs and go through security. LUCKILY, I took pictures of the car before leaving (the inside, outside, and odometer) because 3 weeks later I got an email saying that I damaged the front bumper of the car and they charged my credit card $200 something dollars. It was ridiculous that this was coming up 3 weeks later and when I called to speak with someone all I was told was that the boss wasn't in. I immediately put a claim with my credit card company and submitted a statement of the events along with my pictures. After several calls, 1 of them being a three way call with my credit card company and someone in their office who kept putting on on hold, the case was finally closed and I won the case. Shameful!

Tabernash
reviews: 2
75. Re: Don't rent from Economy Car Rental in Costa Rica

Economy Rent a Car is terrible. We rented from them in Liberia. The manager overcharged us double for a bunch of bs fees. We were trying to take the car to Nicaragua (which they told us would be okay with special paperwork) but we got to the border and we couldn't leave the country. We tried to return the car early and they wouldn't refund a dime. They wouldn't even refund the bs insurance we had to buy. I would never use this company again. They are terrible and have terrible customer service. Use Budget, Avis or one of the other big guys. If I could give them negative stars then i would do so.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
76. Re: Don't rent from Economy Car Rental in Costa Rica

Chipbesse - I have a hard time believing that anyone told you that you could take a car to Nicaragua - that would be the epitome of providing false information. Even taking a private vehicle is an endless bureaucratic nightmare.

I would think that there must have been some miscommunication - or perhaps it was just a means of getting you to rent a vehicle that you otherwise would have not rented.

Anything is possible with Economy.

Costa Rica
reviews: 24
77. Re: Don't rent from Economy Car Rental in Costa Rica

And.... about that "bs insurance." It may or may not be "bs." What some people don't understand is that you must buy the mandatory - by law - liability insurance when you rent a car in Costa Rica. But knowing Economy's reputation, they probably messed that around, too.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
78. Re: Don't rent from Economy Car Rental in Costa Rica

My GOD...so many people hurt by ECONOMY..pelase avoid problems...and do not rent with them...very much the same thing all the time...they claim the vehicle have a scratch and they charge $ 300.00 extra...check windshield...if you are dealing with them...they will give you a vehicle with a small windshield crack...and if you do not noticed at rental time...at return they will charge the BROKEN wind shield...up to a $ 1,000.00 some times...how do we can call that??

roadadvisor

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
79. Re: Don't rent from Economy Car Rental in Costa Rica

Ah, roadadvisor - I think most of us here are very frustrated to read this negative experiences over and over again. All we can do is warn others of Economy's practices and hope that they do research before renting from this company. Unfortunately, many do not go the extra mile to read up on Economy and only find this forum after they've been scammed.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 54
80. Re: Don't rent from Economy Car Rental in Costa Rica

I am surprised by how many visitors can find and can use the TA forum after they have a negative experience! At least Economy Car Rental "reputation" is well known and well documented here.

Reply to: Don't rent from Economy Car Rental in Costa Rica
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted