We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't rent from Economy Car Rental in Costa Rica

Which Costa Rica hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh
reviews: 38
Don't rent from Economy Car Rental in Costa Rica

We had a terrible experience with Economy Car Rental in San Jose.

First off, we chose Economy because they were the only agency that said their car pick up was right at the airport and we had a tight schedule to get where we needed to before dark. The other agencies correctly stated that they were a short distance off site. Turns out Economy was right next to the other agencies. The only difference was the other agencies were straightforward about their location.

When we arrived at the Economy rental office we were told they didn't have the car we had ordered, because our flight was about 30 minutes late and they had given it away. They had our flight info so they could easily have determined that our flight was a few minutes late, and I find it hard to believe that after 30 minutes they assumed we weren't coming since we had secured the reservation with our credit card. They gave us an option of taking a more expensive car and paying the difference in rate, or taking a car that was too small for our group - and also not 4 wheel drive. After asking the manager to honor our agreement at the right price, and being turned down, we chose to pay the higher price because we didn't have time to go somewhere else.

The manager also insisted that we didn't need supplemental insurance on the car because he had looked our credit card up on the internet and he said we were covered, but when my husband noted that fact on the agreement, the manager ripped it up right in my husband's face and said you need to sign our agreeent as is just like everyone else. We ended up taking the extra insurance and paying for it, rather than get into a fight with the guy, or take the chance he was wrong and we'd need the insurance.

Once we were under way, and in need of four wheel drive on a steep muddy road, we discovered that the button to activate the 4 wheel drive was missing (just a hole where it was supposed to have been).

Overall- Economy was no bargain. Go with one of the "name brands"

240 replies to this topic
Costa Rica
reviews: 26
1. Re: Don't rent from Economy Car Rental in Costa Rica

Yours is another post in a long line of problems about Economy Car Rental. Sorry that you had this experience - and sorry you didn't search this forum before you rented from them. Lots of info here.

As for insurance -- there is a mandatory additional liability insurance that you must pay by law no matter what other insurance you have. I understand that you did not have a pleasant experience with them -but- just trying to make the insurance thing clear.

Otherwise - did you have a good visit?

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
reviews: 67
2. Re: Don't rent from Economy Car Rental in Costa Rica

Like Hattie said, you are not the only one who has had problems with Economy. They are not the worst of the bunch, but they are certainly nowhere near the top of their field, either. There are so many other choices that are much more reliable, honest, and easy to do business with.

TA has many, many posts regarding rental car companies in CR - along with abundant information about insurance. I think every regular here on TA always hopes that the information that is posted here aides travelers in making informed decisions.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 41
3. Re: Don't rent from Economy Car Rental in Costa Rica

Ditto.... sorry to hear about your problems

San Jose, Costa Rica
4. Re: Don't rent from Economy Car Rental in Costa Rica

Well I hope I do not get in trouble ...but agreed with every body here...Economy not good news!

roadadvsior

San Jose
reviews: 22
5. Re: Don't rent from Economy Car Rental in Costa Rica

Agree with everyone, specially how framptonian pointed it out. I am so sorry for your bad experience with this rental car company...it is a true shame.

Mal Pais, Costa Rica
6. Re: Don't rent from Economy Car Rental in Costa Rica

I really thankful to you for this great read!! You did a very great job, keep it up.I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoyed every little bit of it.

brooklyn, ny
reviews: 2
7. Re: Don't rent from Economy Car Rental in Costa Rica

I wish that I had read this before I rented from them! I had a terrible experience too. They are terrible, they found a million ways to overcharge us. Just double their estimated price, because that's what you will pay in the end.

Newport Beach...
reviews: 75
8. Re: Don't rent from Economy Car Rental in Costa Rica

I had ran into once a couple of years ago when Economy had given my car rental reservation to someone else only being a bit late too. I said I would never use them again. Hello..... worst customer service - I am sure if they ever read the posts here they would realize they are losing customers.

I have recently use Tricolor... they were great! Avis too has been good.

Chicago
reviews: 3
9. Re: Don't rent from Economy Car Rental in Costa Rica

Sorry to hear about your experience. We looked at Economy until we read the reviews here.

We used Alamo and they were great. They even came to our hotel and picked us up so we could get the car. Also when we changed our plans they were able to accomodate us. The only problem we had was no GPS at the time we arrived but they had someone bring one from another location.

Also, we decided to upgrade from a compact 4x4 - Jimny to a Toyota Rav 4 and with a little negoitating did so for only an additional $10 a day. The Rav 4 was automatic instead of stick plus more room and well worth it!

Tamarindo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Tamarindo, Province of Guanacaste, Santa Cruz
reviews: 1
10. Re: Don't rent from Economy Car Rental in Costa Rica

Are you listening Economy?

Reply to: Don't rent from Economy Car Rental in Costa Rica
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted