We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rica expeditions

Which Costa Rica hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
reviews: 6
Costa Rica expeditions

Is anyone familiar with this company? All comments will be appreciated. We are thinking of booking and would like some info.

Mount Juliet...
reviews: 82
21. Re: Costa Rica expeditions

Staandjo,

When I said I wouldn't have taken tours, I meant that I literally wouldn't know what or where to book at all, having never been to Costa Rica before, and not knowing who was reputable, and what - all was available. I would truly recommend the Costa Rica Expeditions website. They have a questionnaire that you fill in, regarding the places you'd like to go, and the things you'd like to do while in the country. They then send you an itinerary with recommended tours. You also tell them what level of $ you want to spend - budget, moderate or luxury. They then recommend hotels, also, and you can check them out here on Trip Advisor. Our trip of 9 days and 8 nights was a good length of time to see and do a lot. The tours, hotel rooms, some meals, and all transportation within the country was included in the price of the package.

Edited: 1:38 pm, January 17, 2010
Washington, DC
reviews: 2
22. Re: Costa Rica expeditions

Just returned from a trip to Costa Rica hosted by Costa Rica Expeditions. I rarely write reviews, but the customer service, organization and attention to detail given by Costa Rica Expeditions was amazing.

What surprised us was the attention to detail and personalized help that we were given. At every step of the way Costa Rica Expeditions staff made sure we had everything we needed. Moreover, we though the tours were going to be group tours but they were all personalized, the one that sticks out the clearest is the canopy tour where we had three tour guides and there were only two in our party to begin with! We later saw a regular tour head up with about 50 people and six guides.

Initially we thought maybe we could find a better deal by making our own arrangments, but if we had realized that all of our tours would be personally guided and not in large groups we probably wouldn't have hesitated. In the end we came out feeling that the tour with CRE was an amazing value.

Escazu, Costa Rica
reviews: 2
23. Re: Costa Rica expeditions

I am Michael Kaye, CEO and founder of Costa Rica Expeditions.

Roadadvisor is entitled to his opinion. What he is not entitled to do according to Trip Advisor’s own policies is to not reveal that he is tour operator competitor of ours.

The Trip Advisor policy reads in part, “…in a discussion related to your business or a competitor's business, we ask that you clearly state your affiliation as a representative. Our members are entitled to this information so that they can be aware of any potential bias in your comments. A simple statement like, "Hi, I'm John from XYZ Tours," is sufficient disclosure.”

I can see why Roadadvisor breaks the policy. What I don’t understand is why Trip Advisor does not seem to care. I have repeatedly brought Roadadvisor to their attention. If I insist for long enough they will remove one post, but not proactively deal with future posts.

It seems to me they would jealously enforce their conflict of interest policies to make the site more trustworthy. The only thing I can figure is that they relax the rules for people who post a lot because it creates more content for their advertising.

Now that said, regarding roadadvisors claim that, "You pay more for the same hotels, tours, etc." Roadadvisor is half right. You pay more, but you do not pay more for the hotels and the tours are not the same. You pay more for the service of planning the ideal tour for you and then doing everything humanly possible once to make sure your experience is personalized and as hassle free we can. You pay more for peace of mind and the quality of the people you will be dealing with.

If you read the posts in this and other forums you will see that the overwhelming majority of the people who chose our services are very happy they did, That said, we are not for everybody.

24. Re: Costa Rica expeditions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:08 pm, April 02, 2010
Montclair, NJ
25. Re: Costa Rica expeditions

We just returned (literally last night) from a 9 day trip booked through CRE and although we have never posted on a site such as this before we felt the need to do so this time. This trip far exceeded our expectations and we were so impressed with the professionalism and attitude of every person we dealt with. Nadya booked our tour and did a great job matching activities and locales to our interests. From the person who picked us up at the San Jose airport to the the driver who dropped us off at Liberia everyone we dealt with was great. The accommodations at San Jose, Monteverde Lodge, Nayara Hotel and Punta Islita Hotel again were even better than we had anticipated. All of the people we dealt with were friendly, helpful and it seemed, always willing to go above and beyond. We travel quite a bit and we always expect that something will go awry and you just have to go with it. We kept waiting for that something but it never came. A perfect, flawless trip (we even saw the top of Arenal) with not one small complaint...how rare is that.? Only thing is it has totally spoiled us and now all we want to do is book a second trip through CRE and go back to Costa Rica.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 95
26. Re: Costa Rica expeditions

Michael, we had the opportunity to stay at your Tortuga Lodge, and I just wanted to let you know that it was absolutely incredible. From the second we got picked up, we were just in awe of the attention to detail and the level of service your company provided. Everything from the charming room to the food to the quality of service and the level of personalized attention provided was truly amazing. We've recommended your company to all our friends.

Manitoba
reviews: 9
27. Re: Costa Rica expeditions

Costa Rica Expeditions

Pampered! We just got back from a 17 day tour of Costa Rica which included San Jose, Tortuguero, Arenal, Monteverde and Manuel Antonio. We booked the entire tour with Costa Rica Expeditions (CRE) and were very glad we did. The customized tour included all our hotels, airport transfers, transportation and drivers, guides, a domestic flight, a boat transfer, guided tours and activities at various destinations, all breakfasts and some other meals as well. It wasn’t cheap but we wanted a luxury, private tour with minimal hassles. We definitely felt we got our monies’ worth and more.

I used CRE because they were recommended in several travel guides like Fodors and Eye Witness as well as magazines like Conde Nast. The website was user friendly and the travel planner, Luis, provided prompt assistance, good information and advice when I was considering options and setting up our trip.

All of the hotels we stayed at, including CRE’s Tortuga Lodge and Monteverde Lodge, met or exceeded our expectations. In most, if not all, we got the best room or suite in the category we had booked or an upgrade. The food was very good to excellent at all of them.

The CRE guides, particularly Miguel who was with us for 5 days, were excellent. They spoke fluent English and Spanish so communication was easy. All were very knowledgable about their country; its history, culture, sights of interest, flora and fauna. We were particularly impressed with their ability to locate elusive birds, animals and insects, and identify plants by their scientific as well as common names. Miguel was dedicated to ensuring we were enjoying our holiday so he made some adjustments in our planned activities when the weather wasn’t cooperating and included additional ‘free’ excursions when we found ourselves with extra time. For example, when cloud cover and rain interfered with our volcano viewing in Arenal, we wound up going on an interesting, fun and tasty private tour at an organic farm instead.

Early in the planning process I had considered renting a car and driving ourselves but then decided to use CRE vehicles and drivers after hearing about the poor road conditions in Costa Rica. It was a good decision. Many of the roads in eastern and central Costa Rica are narrow, heavily-rutted mud and gravel paths. Often they wind around mountains. All the CRE vehicles we rode in were suitable for the terrain, clean and comfortable. The CRE drivers, particularly Fernando who was with us for 5 days, were very competent and safety-conscious. As well, it was great being able to leave luggage, purses and backpacks, etc. safely in the van with Fernando while we toured sites with Miguel.

Costa Rica Expeditions is extremely customer-focussed and took all the hassle out of touring the country.

San Jose
28. Re: Costa Rica expeditions

It's a good company on the higher end. You are paying extra for services but overall a company with a good reputation

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
29. Re: Costa Rica expeditions

Indeed, Michael runs a good operation. I have never heard anything but glowing reviews about the company in the over ten years I have lived here. They are not the cheapest, no, but they deliver excellent service from what I know. You will be pleased.

Cheers

Inca

west linn, oregon
reviews: 1
30. Re: Costa Rica expeditions

Our family of five--mom, dad, 2 grown daughters and one son-in-law--spent 10 days in Costa Rica and planned the entire trip through CRE. None of us had traveled in Central America before, and were willing to pay a fair price for good advice. And we got it! They set up an excellent itineary with transportation, guides, and lodging. All went smoothly and even better than I had expected.Guides were outstanding, especially Samuel (Monteverde) and Luis (San Jose, Carara). Drivers were quite good and safe. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend CRE to anyone planning a trip here.