We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time traveler needing advice for honeymoon trip!!

gautreaua
reviews: 1
First time traveler needing advice for honeymoon trip!!

Hi. This is my first time leaving Canada (My fiancé has traveled a bit but only to all inclusive resorts) and I really need some advice/ tips to make sure this trip is successful. We are flying into Belize City on June 14th for our honey moon and this is our basic itinerary as well as some questions I have?

June 14th - Fly into Belize city and arrange transportation into Orange Walk. Staying at Hotel de la Fuente.

Q: What is the safest way to get to Orange Walk from the airport? It is my understanding that there are no buses that run directly. Others have told me to be weary of taxi drivers due to scams/kidnappings but I am not so quick to judge based on a few cases.

June 15th - Stay at Hotel de la Fuente and visit Lamanai (booked through hotel)

June 16th - Travel from Orange Walk to Tikal to stay at Jungle Lodge.

Q: Basically, from my research I figured we could take public bus ride from orange walk to Belize city. Then take a bus ride from Belize city to Border or San Ignacio. Then find a way to Tikal once we cross the border. Q: Any suggestions or advice on safest way. Any suggestions for crossing the border??

June 17th: Stay at Jungle lodge. Visit Tikal

June 18th: Travel from Tikal, cross the border back into Belize and stay at Trek Stop. Q: Any suggestions or comments on getting back and crossing back into Belize?

June 19th: Stay at Trek Stop. Free day Q: Any suggestions for things to see?

June 20th: Travel from Trrek Stop to San Ignacio to stay at the Casa Blanca Guest House. Visit Caracol VIA Mayawalk Tours

June 21st: Stay at Casa Blanca Guest House. Visit Actun Tunichil Muknal VIA Maya Walk Tours.

June 22nd: Travel from San Ignacio to Belize City. We do not know where we are going to stay in Belize City. We decided to leave last two days open in case we stay longer somewhere else.

Q: From my knowledge a bus runs daily to Belize City? Any suggestions?

June 23rd: Free Day. Q:

We are trying to decide between visiting Altun Ha or Cave Tubing or maybe something else. Any Suggestions? Since we will be seeing so many ruins it might be nice to do something different?

June 24th: Fly Home.

Q: What is the best way to get from a Hotel in Belize City back to the airport without being over charged?

Basically this is the rough outline for our trip. Any advice/ tips/ warnings/ suggestions would be VERY much appreciated. It obviously would be easier to have just booked an all inclusive in Mexico haha but I have wanted to see the Mayan ruins for so long and its time I leave Canada!!!! I am trying to do this trip the safest/ cheapest way I can. I have purchased a Guatemala/Belize Map as well as a Lets go: Guatemala and Belize book. . I may be going a little overboard with the planning but I believe you are never to prepared  Thanks Again!!

Placencia, Belize
reviews: 13
1. Re: First time traveler needing advice for honeymoon trip!!

First thing I want to ask is, are your plans fixed ie Orange Walk???? This is not really a usual tourist destination. I guess you must have a particular reason to visit Lamanai. Personally I would base myself in Belize City (www.dnestinn.com is a good choice, also the Mopan and Conningsby although for what you want d'Nest is better placed) for the first night and then you can get the public bus to Lamanai up the Northern Highway, and hire a guide when you are there. You will learn a lot from a guide.

You can also easily get to ATM Cave and the zoo from Belize City by bus.

Then I would travel to San Ignacio for Tikal and other Mayan sites such as Caracol, Xunantanich.

You can get a bus from the City direct to Orange Walk. I have mislaid my good link to bus info but I know other people on this forum have it and will post it I'm sure.

Finding a way to Tikal once you get to the border is not really an ideal plan ideal especially as you are not a seasoned traveller. you would be better to find one of the many reputable companies based in San Ignacio eg Pacz who will take you safely to Tikal and back (it is gorgeous, think about an overnight stay at Tikal).

Belize taximen are on the whole a very decent bunch, not much given to kidnapping and extrotion.. Just ask at the place where you are staying what the rate should be, and either have them book you a cab or just pick a cab up on the street. Ask what the fare will be before you get in. Taxis have green license plates. Taxi men are a great source of opinions and thoughts.

Travel by bus in Belize is cheap and relatively easy although can be slow if you get the stopping rather than the express bus. I suggest you touch base with DE Dr FeelAwesome who has information on northern Belize at his fingertips.

I'm sure you will have a great time, keep on researching.

Cypress, Texas
reviews: 155
2. Re: First time traveler needing advice for honeymoon trip!!

gautreaua, I like your plans of getting to see so much of Belize on your trip!

I'm also glad that Belizequeen is here to help you because I'm just starting to learn about places to see in Belize as we are planning our first trip in early April.

I also am thinking about going to Orange Walk Town and staying at Hotel de la Fuente as a base for a guided trip to Lamanai. I'd love to spend a couple of days at the Lamanai Outpost Lodge which is walking distance to Lamanai but from their email it's going to be way out of our budget.

Belizequeen, I take it that you aren't that impressed with the Lamanai trip?

We are planning to rent a car from the airport and will work our way around to see as much of the country as possible. Unfortunately we are probably only going to be able to get away for 4 nights/5 days, but I'm sure we will be wanting to come back.

Just had my Belize Map from National Geographic delivered today, so I'll be spending a lot of time piloting out our trip...

…nationalgeographic.com/ngs/product/maps/tra…

Orange Walk, Belize
reviews: 4
3. Re: First time traveler needing advice for honeymoon trip!!

the Lamanai river tour is great and so is the lodge which is within walking distance and yes the price is quite high. U'r going right with hotel de la fuente to get there from the airport it is easier to get a taxi to belize city and then take the bus to OW if ur not afraid of slumming, u can just get a taxi out to the highway and get the bus from there depending on the time that you are arriving this cuts down on expenses but not on time the taxi drivers that are at the airport are quite safe.

to go to tikal i would recommend a bus ride from ow to belize city then take the linea dorada directly from the city to tikal i recommend staying an overnight in flores and taking the sunrise tour ...ask the owners at de la fuente to get you out to the bus stop for one of the Sarteneja buses....they park right across the bridge from where you would take the water taxi to SP or the Linea Dorada to Tikal, La casona de la isla is my fave place to stay at in flores - have never tried jungle lodge -

dont know any thing bout trek stop so cant comment

to come to belize i would suggest you take the same linea dorada but stop at Melchor take a taxi to the border (BZ$1 per person) be sure to have belizean currency for you just need to give the taxi other wise they will charge you extra and in US! they r not like the friendly belize taxis

at the belize border there are another line of taxis to take you all the way into town or as far as you want they charge something like BZ$4 per person while sharing a cab to SI

Caracol and ATM are great tours! have fun with them

yes there are many daily bus runs from SI to BZ

Cave tubing is great especially when combined with the ziplining at Jaguar PAw and you might be able to combine that with the zoo which is not far from there.....keep in mind that the Belize Zoo is not a regular zoo but more like a wildlife preserve where u r guaranteed the sighting of all the animals available!

my suggestion would be that you talk to locals while in the country and they would recommend to you goo places to stay in belize city ....if you want i can recommend several b&b's or hotels depending on your budget am sure that cindy at de la fuente's can reserve something for you too, or at casa blanca

a taxi to the airport would be the best bet, your hotel in the city can book that for you or i can give you the number of a guy that i have used in the past

enjoy your trip and ask any questions you want i will definitely try to answer

hope you come back to bz many more times!

Cypress, Texas
4. Re: First time traveler needing advice for honeymoon trip!!

After doing extensive research, I've decided to not go to Orange Walk and not to do the Lamanai trip.

Instead we are going to San Ignacio which puts us in the middle of it all, in range of day trips to the most important places. The San Ignacio area has a mind boggling number of choices for lodging and restaurants.

We will be able to take short drives to many of the Mayan complexes like Xunantunich and we will be a short walk to Cahal Pech from where we want to stay. For Caracol, which is the largest Mayan complex in Belize, we will use PACZ Tours. Many people rate Caracol higher than Tikal.

Edited: 9:04 am, March 09, 2010
Placencia, Belize
reviews: 13
5. Re: First time traveler needing advice for honeymoon trip!!

Sounds like a plan, Caracol and Tikal and both fantastic, it is a good excuse to come back again and see more!

One thing to mention about Tikal and the sunrise trip, it is often fogged out. But I wouldn't let this stop me going as it is a fantastic experience to walk through the jungle and ruins before dawn.

Sugar City Girl has given lots of good info folks. Belize can be very confusing, so use the people here as much as you want, and get the best out of yor trip.

San Ignacio, Belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Cayo
reviews: 238
6. Re: First time traveler needing advice for honeymoon trip!!

San Ignacio is a good choice for all of the terrestrial based activities. You have your caves, archaeological sites, rivers, waterfalls, and trails here. I would say that ATM is a must do; I do it every month, at least, and all the friends I take there are blown away. Caracol is also great, and you get to see Rio Frio Cave and Rio On Pools(which is why I bought a car) If you rent a car for the day, you can do all of MPR and Caracol in one amazing excursion. For a local day, I'd suggest tubing the river, doing Cahal Pech, and then the Iguana Hatchery(all my friends really like having tons of baby iguanas being put on them).

You'll have tons of choices for great food. Check out the Best of Cayo site at http://www.bestofcayo.com for the best in each category of food. Ko Ox Han nah is great food, as is Serendib. Amore Mio has the best Italian in the country. As far as lodging, jungle lodges are the way to go, and many are just as cheap as staying downtown. Google 'jungle lodge san ignacio' and you'll get a score of great places. Duplooy's is really cool, and they have the Belize Botanic Gardens right there. Bullet Tree Falls village, is just 3 miles from downtown, and has the Mopan river there, and most places there offer free tubing on the river, which can save you money.

Enjoy!

Cypress, Texas
7. Re: First time traveler needing advice for honeymoon trip!!

D.FeelAwesome, as a local, I know you are comfortable about doing things on your own, but being a first timer to Belize, should I really consider driving to Caracol rather than spending the money on a tour? (if the dirt roads are dry of course)

I feel like Xunantunich is a short drive so I wasn't planing on booking a tour for that one. I have read that you can pick up a guide before crossing the ferry for about USD $20. I guess he rides with us? Do you think a guide is desirable for this trip?

8. Re: First time traveler needing advice for honeymoon trip!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:31 am, September 06, 2010