We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short Notice Trip....Ruins and Cave Tubing?

Which Placencia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Billings, Montana...
reviews: 1
Short Notice Trip....Ruins and Cave Tubing?

Several friends and I are flying into Belize City in a few weeks, and heading out to Caye Caulker for some fly fishing, but then we want to come back to mainland (BC?) and visit ruins and go cave tubing (this has been reccomended to us).

We are traveling light, and not opposed to renting a car. Pretty much trying to maximize the adventure.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which ruins to visit or where to cave tube? And will these activities live up to the hype?

Thanks!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 148
1. Re: Short Notice Trip....Ruins and Cave Tubing?

I wouldn't stay in Belize City - lots of options elsewhere. How much time do you have and what is your general budget? The coolest ruins are over the western border in Guatemala - Tikal and others. Of the ones we've visited in Belize, I'd recommend Lamanai in the north; the boat trip up the jungly New River to the Maya site and back is part of the adventure. I haven't been tempted by cave tubing but this caving adventure is pretty amazing:

www.pacztours.net/actun-tunichil-muknal/

Have a great trip, whatever you decide!

Billings, Montana...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Short Notice Trip....Ruins and Cave Tubing?

We are just flying in and out of belize city, so it was more of a convienience factor more thant anything. We are open to staying other places. Pretty much we will have three full days after we leave caye caulker to see ruins and do the caveing/tubing. Where would you recommend staying for these last three days of the trip? we have no problem getting up early and driving, even if it is back to the airport. Belize is a pretty small country and we all fly out in the evening of our last day, so we plan on driving back to belize city and flying out the same day.

As far as budget, we are all students, and would like to minimize cost. That being said, cost is not necessarily a limiting factor, and we are willing to spend a little extra for the right activity.

Thanks for your input!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 148
3. Re: Short Notice Trip....Ruins and Cave Tubing?

I would pick a good, basic place in San Ignacio or a jungly option - lots to choose from and you can research here on TA. Do check out the tour I linked, above. For many it's their Belize highlight. For what it's worth, if you don't already have reservations on Caulker, we prefer to do the inland part 1st and end on the water. It just seems to fit better for us and leaves us very close to the airport so we can maximize enjoyment on the last day.

My photos with blog and travelogue links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Happy trails!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

San Ignacio, Belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Cayo
reviews: 238
4. Re: Short Notice Trip....Ruins and Cave Tubing?

Anywhere but BC. Cayo is a great choice, but I'm biased. There are 2 major rivers you can canoe and tube too. DuPlooy's just started offering tube rides, and Bullet Tree Falls is known for having a great tubing river too.

Placencia, Belize
reviews: 3
5. Re: Short Notice Trip....Ruins and Cave Tubing?

If you are based in San Ignacio you can get quite a bit done in that location. YES! to ATM cave. It is not for the faint or weary heart :) it is for the adventurer. Hotels in that area from moderate to pricey. Midas, Windy Hill, DuPlooys and Chaa Creek. Cayo "area" has so much to offer.

6. Re: Short Notice Trip....Ruins and Cave Tubing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 16, 2014