We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

going from San Ignacio to Placencia and then to Intl...

Which Placencia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boulder, CO
reviews: 16
going from San Ignacio to Placencia and then to Intl...

Greetings,

I am not planning on renting a car and wonder if anyone has any suggestions on how to best get around in Belize.

We arrive at 3 pm and want to get to a jungle lodge that night outside San Ignacio. I figure I take a bus but don't yet have info on that stretch - any suggestions or web links.

Then we are off to Placencia for a few days and then will need to fly out.

Anyone know how to get to Placencia from San Ignacio?

Of course I know that I can fly back to the the international airport but wonder about the bus

new jersey usa
reviews: 3
1. Re: going from San Ignacio to Placencia and then to Intl...

We rented car from cayo auto rental in SanIgnacioand drove to Placencia returned to SanIgnacio and they dropped us at airport. It is about a 3 hour drive. Highway is good but last 22 miles is a very bumby road.

I'm pretty sure you can take bus to Belmopan and make connection to Placencia We stayed at Laru Beya resort about 5 miles north of village. There is an airstrip on Placencia with flights to Belize Airport

Madison, Wisconsin
2. Re: going from San Ignacio to Placencia and then to Intl...

We just got back from Belize a few days ago. We rented a car and drove from the airport to San Ignacio and then to Placencia and back to the airport. If you end up driving - try to make sure you drive during the day. At night you can't see the "sleeping policemen" (speed bumps). From what we were told you can take a local bus from the airport to San Ignacio. Upon arrriving in San Ignacio, you would need to take a taxi to the jungle lodge. They are not right in town. From San Ignacio to Placencia, you would need to take 2 buses. Not sure on how long it would take, but the buses are very cheap - about $4-5 US.

Seattle
3. Re: going from San Ignacio to Placencia and then to Intl...

Blackcat - my family and I are doing the same drive in June. Airport to Chaa Creek (for 1 week), then to Placencia (for 1 week) then back to airport. Any other tips about the drive? Did you have any good stops along the way?

Madison, Wisconsin
4. Re: going from San Ignacio to Placencia and then to Intl...

The drive to San Ignacio (due to car rental problems) landed us driving at night from the airport in unfamiliar territory. I wouldn't recommend that! The drive out of town wasn't really bad, but we just couldn't see the silent policemen (speed bumps). You shouldn't really have any problems. Depending on when you arrive into Belize, the Belize zoo is on the way to San Ignacio. We didn't have time to see it, but it's supposed to be decent. It took about 2 hours to get to San Ignacio from the airport.

The ride from San Ignacio to Placencia was easy and beautiful (at least until you get to the turnoff to Placencia - which is 24 miles of bumpy road and takes about 45 minutes). The Hummingbird highway is the nicest in the country. Along the way there are citrus groves and banana trees and you will pass a few sites. There is Blue Hole, St. Herman's cave, Jaguar Reserve... In total, I would say that it's about a 3.5 to 4 hour drive.

Let me know if you have any further questions...

Bowling Green, KY
reviews: 2
5. Re: going from San Ignacio to Placencia and then to Intl...

You can hire tour vans to take you many places. Most of the time you can find others who are going to the same place you are, so the cost is not too bad. If you are traveling with others, then you can share the cost with them. You can ride the busy, but with luggage it can be difficult. Visit Eva's in San Ignacio and Bob(if he's still there-he was in November) or Zane can probably help you.