We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Placencia

Which Placencia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Paul, MN
reviews: 2
First visit to Placencia

February was my first time to Belize and I couldn't wait to plan another trip. We did Ambergris Caye and now we're ready to check out Placencia this December! I'm looking for all the info I can about it.

How does it compare to San Pedro?

As for places to stay--where would you recommend? I'm looking for a place with a kitchenette. I'm not looking at spending a lot (around $100/night).

What restaurants can't you miss?

We're doing this trip the first week of December. Any other tips would be great! Thanks! - Becca

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
reviews: 3
1. Re: First visit to Placencia

Placencia is less developed, more laid back and has the best beaches in Belize, with views of the Maya Mtns in the background. The refe is further from shore, easier access to day trips to the mainland for Maya sites, caves, waterfalls, culture, jungle and more.

Saint Paul, MN
2. Re: First visit to Placencia

Thanks Katie! It sounds like a beautiful place.

Has anyone stayed at one of the One World Rental houses in town? They look fabulous. We also were looking at Beachfront Suites further up the peninsula, but we're not sure we want to rent a car (it's necessary to have a car to stay at Beachfront). I welcome any suggestions or comments. Thanks all

North Liberty, Iowa
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
reviews: 9
3. Re: First visit to Placencia

It's been a few years since we were in Placencia, but we really enjoyed our stay at Las Amigas. On the beach, north side of the village, right on the sidewalk. Not fancy, but clean and comfortable.

I won't recommend restaurants since it has been several years since we last visited, but Las Amigas is a very short jaunt down the beach or sidewalk to De Tatch, which I notice still gets good reviews.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 1
4. Re: First visit to Placencia

I've been to Placencia 3 times and always stayed north of the village (just south of the Inn at Roberts Grove).

We had a family car availalbe, so it was not a problem. But I think the One World Rentals would be a wonderful place to stay! You will be close to the beach and close to all the fun restaurants and bars.

I'll be back in the fall. Can't wait!

Milton, Delaware
reviews: 4
5. Re: First visit to Placencia

He Becca. I can't compare Ambergris with Placencia. Have been to Placencia 4 times. Love it. Never been to Ambergris.

Re Restaurants in Placencia. Lots of fun places.

Best dining:

French Connection

La Dolce Vita

Great atmosphere and good food:

Pickled Parrot

De Tach

Tipsy Tuna (also check out the Sunday reggae beach party!)

There are so many fun places in Placencia. These happen to be my personal favorites.

Check out www.placencia.com. They have an accomodations section listed by price range. You mentioned One World Rentals. One thing about web site pictures. They can sometimes be deceiving. I don't know One World Rentals but I would check them out for actual location. Remember, Placencia is a narrow peninsula. Their web site says 3 minute walk from Beach. Almost the whole village in a beach, yet they show a picture that appears to be taken at the end of the road. I don't think their location and the picture of the beach are related. Ask all accomodations:

On the beach?

In the village?

How long of a walk to the village?

(If north of the airport, you would have to take a taxi or rely on the resort for transportation. Depending is you are a "resort rat" or a "culture seeker", this may by OK. The "culture seekers", like me, want to be in the thick of things.)

Do they have A/C?

Do they have any kitchen facilities?

Do you want a TV or phone or wireless?

December is a busy month there. Better book soon.

Also, if you decided to go more upscale, check our Chabil Mar Villas. On the beach, ten minute walk to village or use complimentary bike. Their pictures are actually of the property, so you can trust the web site description. I have stayed there 3 times.

I know you will enjoy Placencia. You sound like the adventure type. Great place, great people. Join in. They like that.

Saint Paul, MN
6. Re: First visit to Placencia

Alright, I think we've made a decision. We're going to be staying in a Deluxe cabana at Tradewinds. It's right on the beach, and it looks like it's in a great location. What does everyone think?

What excursions would you recommend we do? And tour company recommendations?

Milton, Delaware
7. Re: First visit to Placencia

Tradewinds is excellent choice in that price range. You'll think you have become an island "bum" (in a good way).

My favorite tours:

1) Monkey River with Percy Gordon

2) First time snorkelers: Laughing Bird Caye (I have had two good experiences out to Laughing Bird Caye with Ocean Motion tours) If more advanced snorkeling and/or diving I would check with your hosts.

3) Cockscomb Jaguar Reserve with Basilio

Take, or buy when there, off the shelf insect repellent for jungle tours. That's all you need for the bugs. They are not that bad.

Restaurants:

Upscale best: French Connection and La Dolce Vita

Mid: many many but I really enjoy Pickled Parrot and the sandwiches at Tipsy Tuna beach bar. Breakfast is fun at De Tach.

You will get good value for your dollar and you can walk to all of these places. Unless you want to pay an arm and a leg and need a taxi, I wouldn't opt for anything but a drink at Turtle Inn or Robert's Grove. Very nice places, don't get me wrong, good food, but very pricey for the same food as in town. Just a more posh atmosphere.

There's my two cents worth. I bet you have a great time. Wish I were going again soon.

Eugene, Oregon
8. Re: First visit to Placencia

Hi -

I am trying to plan a vacation with at least two other couples. I'm interested in going to Caye Caulker, another couple is interested in going to Ambergris Caye. Can anyone tell me if they have been to both and what they thought? Is Caye Caulker really, really rustic? Has anyone rented a house vs. motel? Is the "turtle grass" they have in the water super annoying? Can you really not flush the toilet paper and have to put it in a waste bin? Mosquitos, sand fleas, no see ums? How about Placencia with these things too? Thank you for sharing photos or any details you have for any of the three places!!!!!!!

Shine

Milton, Delaware
9. Re: First visit to Placencia

I haven't been to Caye Caulker or Ambergris Caye, but to Placencia four times.

Re turtle grass. It is not seaweed. That means it is very much like a wide (1/2 blade) of grass. It is firm under your feet. It is OK to walk on and I use my water shoes when I do. Placencia Village is located on a sandy peninsula so it is surrounded by sand on the Caribbean side and lagoon, with mangroves, on the inland side. As such there is not coral off the beach. You take boats out to magnificent coral reefs. Keep in mind that the length of Belize is a great coral reef, the second largest in the world and the largest in the northern hemisphere. Awesome!

The other terrific things about Placencia:

1) It is an active fishing village. This means you get to experience Belizean culture, not a tourist one. You can feel free to mingle about the Village. No need to stay cooped up on your resort like you have to do in so many Caribbean and/or Mexican locations.

2) Because of Placencia's geographical location it is easy access to Mayan Ruins, Jungle Tours etc. along with Scuba and/or Snorkeling, Fishing etc. All activities are easy day trips.

3) Accomodations run from bare basics (a room on the beach and outdoor facilities) to upscale with A/C, suites, swimming pools, wireless internet etc.

4) There are enough tourists there that there are many restaurants and taverns and a few little shops for gifts, but it is not a tourist town per se, in my opinion. It is more about adventure and a cultural experience in a wonderful country with friendly people.

5) You can drink the water in most anyplace in Belize. This is especially true of Placencia. No problem.

6) The Village is "what shall I say", rustic by American standards. There are food markets but not all types of food are available on any given day. There are banks and you can use the ATM for cash.

I hope you get a good picture from this description. There are modern amenities to be had but in general it is an older world experience.

I love it there.

For pictures of Placencia go to:

www.placencia-belize.com

Eugene, Oregon
10. Re: First visit to Placencia

Thank you so very much for all the information! Sounds like what I am looking for. All I really have to compare it to is the Cook Islands and it sounds as if it is a similiar experience. I don't want fancy, I want real. Much thanks!