We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are Road Transfers from San Ignacio to Tikal Safe?

Which San Ignacio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glendale, CA
reviews: 50
Are Road Transfers from San Ignacio to Tikal Safe?

We are traveling to Belize and have hired a transportation company to transfer my husband and me from our lodge in San Ignacio to Tikal Inn near Tikal National Park. I've read that there have been robberies on the road through Guatemala in 2011. But I haven't read of anything more recent. Can anyone please give me some feedback on the safety of the roads from San Ignacio through Tikal? Any tips to help in safety?

Thank you!

San Ignacio, Belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Cayo
reviews: 216
1. Re: Are Road Transfers from San Ignacio to Tikal Safe?

I haven't heard of anything remotely bad happening since then, and the tours go every day. I wouldn't drive it if I didn't know the roads. Have fun!

Midland, Texas
reviews: 108
2. Re: Are Road Transfers from San Ignacio to Tikal Safe?

Just got back from a two week trip that included a transfer from San Ignacio to Tikal.

Booked and went with a tour group -(BZM - group size 5 people). No problems at all. There is a significant presence of Guatemalan military personnel on the roads....several road blocks, but tourist vans are waved through each of these stops. Tikal was awesome!!

Glendale, CA
3. Re: Are Road Transfers from San Ignacio to Tikal Safe?

Thank you so much for your replies. It makes me feel a lot better. We're really excited to go!

Hopkins
reviews: 1
4. Re: Are Road Transfers from San Ignacio to Tikal Safe?

!. The only people I have ever met who were actually robbed (at gun point!!) in 2011 were on the shuttle from Tikal to FLORES.

2. I have not taken this shuttle myself, but the best way I have found to reach Tikal from SI is to take the PACZ Tours shuttle (the shuttle part only, not their day tour) that leaves SI at 7:15a.m. for $25US one way.. Please check the time and cost with PACZ to confirm this info is still current. You still have to pay departure and entry fees yourself.

Glendale, CA
5. Re: Are Road Transfers from San Ignacio to Tikal Safe?

Thank you!

San Ignacio, Belize
reviews: 18
6. Re: Are Road Transfers from San Ignacio to Tikal Safe?

I neither have heard of any incidence of robbery for quite some time now. I would recommend hiring a tour company. The border crossing fees, guide, entrance fees, and lunch are included. Both of the aforementioned tour companies are reliable. I don`t believe it brings much of a savings to do it yourself with the one way transfer previously suggested.

Brisbane
reviews: 106
7. Re: Are Road Transfers from San Ignacio to Tikal Safe?

Do you need to book PACZ shuttles to Tikal in advance? Or can you just show up and get seats?

Edited: 12:18 am, July 13, 2013
San Ignacio, Belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Cayo
8. Re: Are Road Transfers from San Ignacio to Tikal Safe?

You can book up to the night before.

Brisbane
reviews: 106
9. Re: Are Road Transfers from San Ignacio to Tikal Safe?

Are there other options for transport direct to Tikal (not Flores) if we don't want to leave at 7:15am? We would really rather have the morning at Parrot Nest to watch birds, then leave for Tikal around 10:am-ish. I have heard of people hiring taxis at the border. Is this safe? And how much would it cost to take a taxi from the border to Tikal?

San Ignacio, Belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Cayo
10. Re: Are Road Transfers from San Ignacio to Tikal Safe?

If you leave that late, you'd want to stay overnight in Tikal, but it's easy to arrange.