We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay

Which San Ignacio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Where to stay

Ok so we will be arriving in Belize on July 30. We are going to stay in Cayo for the first 3 days of our trip. Two things that I am really wanting to do is ATM and black Hole drop. Are these two thing in close proximity to each other? Where should I be looking to stay that would be most convenient. Thanks for all your help!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
reviews: 4
1. Re: Where to stay

Stay at Caves Branch for both BH and ATM

2. Re: Where to stay

Thanks for the response! We are considering taking a bus from BZE, how bad are the buses? Would renting a car be the way to go? Money is not an issue just considering the bus for the experience really. Also should I book these tours before my trip or is it reasonable to just sign up when we arrive? Thanks!

3. Re: Where to stay

Thanks for the response! We are considering taking a bus from BZE, how bad are the buses? Would renting a car be the way to go? Money is not an issue just considering the bus for the experience really. Also should I book these tours before my trip or is it reasonable to just sign up when we arrive? Thanks!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 137
4. Re: Where to stay

Black Hole Drop is a Caves Branch thing so you'll have to contact them. I would definitely try to reserve that 1 in advance. If they're really busy they might not offer it to folks who aren't staying there - not sure about that.

www.cavesbranch.com

ATM I'd book in advance but a few days would likely be enough. We were happy to have booked well in advance because we requested to be the 1st group into the cave and it was pretty awesome that was the case. We used Pacz and were happy with them:

www.pacztours.net/actun-tunichil-muknal/

To ride the bus you have to taxi to the bus station and bus from there. If you're going to San Ignacio proper the bus goes there; if you're heading to a jungly place you'd need a taxi or a shuttle. To bus to Caves Branch you'd likely have to change in Belmopan to a bus heading to Dangriga or further south, then get off at the CB access road. The hike in from there is pushing a mile, I think.

Loads of Belize transportation gems here:

www.belizebus.wordpress.com

My photos with blog and travelogue links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Happy trails! flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Edited: 7:03 pm, June 20, 2013
San Ignacio, Belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Cayo
reviews: 229
5. Re: Where to stay

The buses are fun, but they do stop often, and you don't want to put anything of value in the outside pockets of your bags. They are reliable too. Cars are quite expensive to rent, but give you that flexibility. I recently did the Black Hole Drop, and you'll love it. An extreme adventure it is. I'd stay at IACB. ATM is close to there too. If you rent a car, you can save some by arranging to meet the guide at ATM.

Enjoy the rappelling!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 137
6. Re: Where to stay

If you stay at Caves Branch (IACB above) you can visit the ATM cave through them but it would cost more than meeting another guide outfit in the parking lot.

7. Re: Where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 24, 2014