We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation to from ambergris/San Ignacio

Which San Ignacio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Transportation to from ambergris/San Ignacio

Hello, my fiancé and I are planning a trip to Belize for the beginning of August and I am need some insight on planning. Our plan right now is to stay in ambergris caye for the first 4-5 days, then make our way to the San Ignacio for 2 days to do the ATM and possibly another tour of some sort. Then go back to the beach somewhere for a couple more days. My question is what the best way to get to from each place. Should we rent a vehicle or take a bus? I am just starting to plan so not too familiar yet. Is this a reasonable trip to make. Thanks for your help!

San Ignacio, Belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Cayo
reviews: 216
1. Re: Transportation to from ambergris/San Ignacio

If you'll only be in Cayo for a few nights - you really need at least 3 nights here - getting a rental car might be a good idea, although there will be days where you don't use it, but use a guides transport instead, like with ATM. You could also do the Belize zoo on the way in, and cave tubing on the way back.

2. Re: Transportation to from ambergris/San Ignacio

Thanks for the info! So renting a car and driving to San Ignacio is doable. How are the roads?

Belize
3. Re: Transportation to from ambergris/San Ignacio

The buses are old school buses -- cheap but not very comfortable. Have a look a tthis site for bus info...

http://belizebus.wordpress.com/

The highway between Belize City is paved, 2 lanes, and in generally good condition; maximum speed 50 mph.

The highway between Belmopan and Placencia is also paved, 2 lanes, and in generally good condition. The first part from Belmopan has many curves.

San Ignacio, Belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Cayo
reviews: 216
4. Re: Transportation to from ambergris/San Ignacio

The roads are good, and I'm betting all the roads you take will be paved, unless you go to MPR and Caracol, which I would consider a must do day trip.

Charlottesville...
reviews: 1
5. Re: Transportation to from ambergris/San Ignacio

If you rent a vehicle for the Cayo portion (yes allot at least 3 nights - LOTS to do in this area) you could then drive yourself to another beach area on the S coast of the mainland for your last few days. Hopkins or Placencia are both beach resorts in driving distance. Vehicles are expensive but give you a lot of flexibility with meals and tours (many of which you can do on your own).

San Ignacio, Belize
6. Re: Transportation to from ambergris/San Ignacio

I just read this thread, I think everyone forgot to mention that Traveling from Ambergis to San Ignacio solely by rental is not possible. They would first have to take water taxi or plane to Belize City THEN rent the vehicle. Us who live here and are familiar with Belize understand that but to the newer traveler it is a detail they don't know. The drive from Belize City to San Ignacio takes about 2 hours and is very scenic. The roads are paved and minus a few rough patches, speed bumps and police check points it is a very smooth ride. Renting a car will save on transportation cost to and from Belize City but a guide is a great idea for any tours you are deciding to go on.

7. Re: Transportation to from ambergris/San Ignacio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, June 26, 2014