We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety with Electronics & Camera's

Which San Ignacio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento...
reviews: 73
Safety with Electronics & Camera's

I was wondering how safe it would be for me to bring my DSLR camera? I usually carry it with an extra lens in a camera backpack. We also use a Go Pro. Our kids have the handheld gaming systems 3DS that we always travel with. Would it be inviting trouble to allow them to use them at a restaurant or during a long drive on a tour or private transfer?

Thank you,

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 95
1. Re: Safety with Electronics & Camera's

I would not allow the kids to bring gaming systems for that reason but mainly because they can play with those anywhere and here's their chance to experience a different culture. They would miss a tragic amount of learning and seeing and doing if they bury their heads in technology instead of watching out the windows to see the construction of the houses, folks waiting for buses, Mennonites stands selling watermelons, kids playing soccer, someone walking an iguana on a leash, laundry on the lines, local 'cool spots' and more.

In lieu of games, buy this book, maybe a copy each:

amazon.com/Play-Belize-Mesa-Somer/…

And a set of these laminated wildlife identification cards:

rainforestpublications.com/belizeFieldGuides…

And their own cameras and waterproof binoculars. :-)

Re: an SLR, I'd probably default to a less than chic camera backpack for storage and not flash it around. It would be a shame not to have your favorite camera in such a photographic place. Imo the main risk is due to humidity, not theft, especially if you are moving in and out of air conditioned environments. Read up - there are things you can do to help with that. Happy trails!

Sacramento...
reviews: 73
2. Re: Safety with Electronics & Camera's

Thanks so much hopeful!! I'll pry the 3Ds and cell phones out of their hands lol . Thanks for the update on the DSLR too. The backpack is fairly old because it was purchased with my first DSLR 8 years ago. I can't thank you enough for all your responses to my questions. Il

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 95
3. Re: Safety with Electronics & Camera's

I friend who recently traveled with kids on planes says to maybe allow the handheld devices on the plane but control them otherwise. :-)

Let me know if there's more I can do to help! Happy trails!

4. Re: Safety with Electronics & Camera's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 12, 2014