We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear on ATM tour?

Which San Ignacio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
reviews: 15
What to wear on ATM tour?

We have booked the ATM tour in a couple of weeks (mid-June), and have no idea what to wear. They say that parts of it you actually get in the river, so any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 148
1. Re: What to wear on ATM tour?

I'd wear quick-dry fabric shirts and long pants or capri-length pants with either sandals with toe protection like Keens or amphibious shoes. You'll need to either wear socks or pack some along for the dry parts of the cave.

My photos with blog and travelogue links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - our set of ATM photos will give you a good idea about the tour and our clothes and shoes (2009 collection). Happy trails!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Austin, Texas
2. Re: What to wear on ATM tour?

Thanks!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 148
3. Re: What to wear on ATM tour?

Shorts/swim trunks would work but you'd bang up your knees a bit more, I think. Have a great trip!

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 5
4. Re: What to wear on ATM tour?

We did this tour a couple of weeks ago. It’s great. We just wore shorts and a T-shirt along with closed toe shoes. The shoes protect you from rocks while you are wading in the river. You will swim a short ways into the cave and you will spend a couple hours or so wading through the water in the cave. Sometimes the water will be chest deep, other times less so. Once you climb out of the water to explore other parts of the cave they prefer that you wear socks as that provides you with some protection and also protects the limestone from the oils on your feet. Having said that they did not insist that you wear socks. Three in our group did and 3 didn’t. The guide was barefoot. After you leave the cave you can change into dry clothes that you can leave at the entrance to the cave. I changed into a dry shirt and let my shorts dry during the 45 min walk out.

BC
reviews: 122
5. Re: What to wear on ATM tour?

The ATM cave tour is awesome.

We were in the cave for almost 4 hours (Pacz tours) and a good part of it is in water. At one point, only your head was above the water as you squeezed through a very narrow area, and of course there is the swimming part at the entrance.

I had Keen sandals and wore quick dry shorts and a thin shirt. I wouldn't wear pants, because you do a lot of climbing over rocks and I think it would damage the pants (unless you don't care about the pants). Everyone in our group had the socks, it is supposed to be a requirement, obviously some companies are better about following the rules.

There is a nice brand new bathroom and change room building. When we toured in March it was open off and on, apparently some problems with the water supply. Closed when we started our tour, but open by the late afternoon. Much nicer than the porta potty outhouse!

San Ignacio, Belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Cayo
reviews: 238
6. Re: What to wear on ATM tour?

I tell friends that the key thing to have is the closed toed shoes, like Teva's or Keen's. They are all you really need to bring to Beilze, as far as footwear. For ATM, a dry change of clothes is needed too, for when you get back onto the air-conditioned bus.

Enjoy!

Portland, Oregon
7. Re: What to wear on ATM tour?

Take a big plastic bag for the muddy clothes. Luckily we had a washer/dryer at our next location. This trip is my husband's favorite of all after two times in Belize. Enjoy!

Austin, Texas
8. Re: What to wear on ATM tour?

Thanks, everyone! Very helpful tips! We are really looking forward to this excursion.

Quebec City, Canada
reviews: 2
9. Re: What to wear on ATM tour?

Hello! Do you think that I could wear these to go to ATM tour? I don't want to ruin my sport shoes with water and I already own these for when I swim in place where I could hurt my feet with rocks.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/Apparel/3/WomensFootwear/WomensSandalsCasualFootwear/PRD~0892757P/Ascent+Womens+Aqua+Socks+II.jsp?locale=en

BC
reviews: 122
10. Re: What to wear on ATM tour?

I think that you would want more protection, I was happy to have my Keen's with the toe protector, I remember bumping my toe pretty hard. But see what others think.

You will need more substantial sandals for the hike, however; you also cross the creek/river twice during the hike. You can change footwear and leave it outside the cave with your other stuff. Your items will be left unattended for several hours.