We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

atm cave

Which San Ignacio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, Canada
reviews: 5
atm cave

Just back from a great trip to Belize. Before we went I had asked about taking a camera for the hike to the entrance of the ATM cave. Someone made, what I thought was a good suggestion, about taking a disposable camera for the hike in and leaving it with your stuff when you enter the cave. We found out that cameras are not allowed for the hike to the cave entrance. We were told that the fine was $2,000 Bz for the tour operator. They did say that there is some talk about hiring extra park rangers to be at the cave entrance and that would allow people to take their camera on the hike in but still not within the cave.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
reviews: 7
1. Re: atm cave

Good to know thanks.

Ipswich, UK
reviews: 15
2. Re: atm cave

They no longer allow cameras in the cave since a tourist dropped a lens onto a skull of a sacrificed child/adult – taking out the middle two front teeth! Also, it really is an experience in itself, and you'd lose so much of the that experience if you were concentrating on taking photographs, or holding onto a camera. Which you'd be unable to keep dry anyway!

You'll find the experience, and the resultant memories, will prove far more powerful than any photograph.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
reviews: 72
3. Re: atm cave

Ask your tour operator if they can provide you with archived pictures. I went with Pacz and stopped by their office in San Ignacio with a flash disk/memory stick. They uploaded around 60 high-quality pix and a 5-minute video free of charge.

Philadelphia
reviews: 2
4. Re: atm cave

We did Actun Tunichil Muknal in November 2011, when photography was still allowed. Our pictures were great (we had a waterproof camera). I am saddened that a lens was dropped on a skull, but unfortunately, it does not surprise me. The early portions of the trip (after getting out of the river and scaling the cliff) there were a lot of pottery shards and human remains awfully close to the path, which could easily be stepped on.

If you really want to take pictures, try going in the last group of the day. We were in the last group, and even though our guide was a by the book guy, when we got up to the Crystal Maiden, he offered us to cross the barrier and sit next to her, as long as we promised not to post it on Facebook. We refused.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
reviews: 72
5. Re: atm cave

There is no way that any guide will let you take a camera these days. The fine is heavy, and they risk losing their license, which is their livelihood. One guy on our tour forgot to leave his phone in the car and had it with him on the walk to the entrance. Because it would have been destroyed in the water, he put it into the guide's waterproof bag for the time in the cave. When we got out of the cave, we asked the guide if we could take a group picture with it in front of the cave entrance, and we were vehemently refused. They won't risk anything.

6. Re: atm cave

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 17, 2014