We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cayo Itinerary Help

Which San Ignacio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Aspen, Colorado
Cayo Itinerary Help

We will be saying at Macal RIver Camp in May and need some help with our itinerary. We plan to rent a car and will have 2 full days to enjoy the camp, Chaa Creek and the local area. We have two children ages 4 and 7 so our activites will be limited. Our plan the first day is to go to the Saturday market by car (or canoe the river there?) in the morning and then go to the Iguana Conservation project. Maybe exploring Xunantunich on the way back (or wait until the next day), then enjoy Chaa Creek pool and grounds for the afternoon. The next day we were thinking of driving to Calico Jacks to go zip lining. I understand its about an hour drive. Is this a good call and what other things can we do on the way there or back? Is there a place the kids can tube or canoe through caves? Is there anything we should do instead? Does our itinerary for the two days sound good for young kids?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 148
1. Re: Cayo Itinerary Help

It will be HOT in May so I'd plan to venture out in the mornings and hang out around the pool or in the river in the afternoons. We canoed into San Ignacio with our kids 10 years ago (they were 17, 18, and 20 at the time) and it was a long hot trip - I don't think I'd do that with young kids. You could do the market (it's small), the Iguana Project, Xunantunich, and the butterflies at the Trek Stop in a morning; eat lunch in town and head back out to the camp. The next day consider either Chechem Ha or Barton Creek cave - I think they'd both be good with kids.

My photos with blog and travelogue links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Happy trails! flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

San Ignacio, Belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Cayo
reviews: 235
2. Re: Cayo Itinerary Help

Calico Jack's is awesome! I'd horseback ride to Xunantunich if at all possible. Chechem Ha is fun, and has a good hike.

Have a great vacation!

Aspen, Colorado
3. Re: Cayo Itinerary Help

I believe the drive to Calico Jacks about an hour from Chaa Creek? Is there any thing to do on the way that you would recommend? Can a 4 yr old do the ziplining? Thanks

Washington, United...
reviews: 23
4. Re: Cayo Itinerary Help

The water level on the Macal was pretty low in March 2013, so I expect that it will be even lower in May. You will touch bottom in many spots, but that is OK. Low river also means that you will have to work harder to get into SI from Chaa Creek, and I wouldn't expect the kids to be of much help. It is a two hour earnest paddling. The best part of the trip was to see the bats at the wall on the right side of bank about a mile and a half before SI. They swamerd around us as we gingerly approached them. They are nearly impossible to spot until you are 5 yards from them. It was magical. We also saw locals diving for Tilapia in the deep section of the river.

San Ignacio, Belize
reviews: 20
5. Re: Cayo Itinerary Help

There is Greenhills Butterfly Farm, and Barton Creek Cave in the Amish community. The children will love both of these activities.

Not sure if zip lining is suitable for small children, but if you email Calico Jacks they will let you know. They are very safety oriented, and very good about responding to emails.

If you do these three activities, it will be a full day of family fun.

All the best !!

6. Re: Cayo Itinerary Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, April 13, 2014
Get answers to your questions about San Ignacio