We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with my Belize 13 Day Itinerary

Which San Ignacio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Broken Arrow...
reviews: 1
Help with my Belize 13 Day Itinerary

My husband and I have purchased our flight tickets to belize for a 13 day stay. Here is our itinerary, please provide your input we don't know if we are staying too long or too short of time in certain places or if we should stay in other areas. We are in our late 20s and want to see jungle, adventures,mayan sites, and to also relax on the beach. I practically only have two main areas I'm visiting and then using those as a hub. Should I stay in other places closer to certain sites?

Day 1: Arrive in Belize City and take bus to San Ignacio

Day 2: From San Ignacio do ATM tour

Day 3: Head to Tikal to border by bus and then take a colectivo to the ruins. Stay the night at Tikal Inn and do sunrise tour the next morning.

Day 4: Head back to San Ignacio that morning. Walk to Cahal Pech early afternoon.

Day 5: Go on cave tubing excursion from san ignacio. Go to Xunantunich from san ignacio

Day 6: Head over to Belize City and catch water taxi to San Pedro.

Day 7: Go snorkeling Hol Chan or Shark Ray Alley in Ambergris Caye from San Pedro.

Day 8: Hang out in san Pedro

Day 8: Head over to Caye Caulker and hang out on beach

Day 9: Go to Blue Hole from Caye Caulker snorkeling.

Day 10: Ok Im stumped

San Ignacio, Belize
reviews: 25
1. Re: Help with my Belize 13 Day Itinerary

You are missing the Mountain Pine Ridge area of Cayo.

Layton, Utah
reviews: 133
2. Re: Help with my Belize 13 Day Itinerary

The Mountain Pine Ridge does have some cool things to explore: Rio on Pools, Rio Frio Cave, Big Rock Falls, etc.

If you're going to be in San Ignacio on a Saturday morning check out the local market. Its where/when the local get their items for the week. We had an amazing "local" breakfast there and picked up some fresh fruit.

You may want to look into doing a zipline. We did one is Bocawina that was awesome.

We did a ton of adventures and running around while at San Ignacio and used San Pedro to just rest and recover.

Broken Arrow...
3. Re: Help with my Belize 13 Day Itinerary

Thank you so much for your advice I will add this to my itinerary since its close to other excursions!!

San Ignacio, Belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Cayo
reviews: 246
4. Re: Help with my Belize 13 Day Itinerary

Caracol, MPR, and the Green Iguana Project are must do's. Bocawina is amazing, by the way, and Calico Jack's in Cayo is great too.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 148
5. Re: Help with my Belize 13 Day Itinerary

I wouldn't add any more places to sleep in but adding adventures and days to just hang out is a good idea. My photos with blog and travelogue links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Happy trails! flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Broken Arrow...
6. Re: Help with my Belize 13 Day Itinerary

Thanks so much! so just one more question. Should I stay at the Barton Creek Outpost after San Ignacio or simply just stay at San Ignacio and use that as a hub?

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
reviews: 4
7. Re: Help with my Belize 13 Day Itinerary

Is Barton Ck Outpost open for visitors?

San Ignacio, Belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Cayo
reviews: 246
8. Re: Help with my Belize 13 Day Itinerary

Barton Creek Outpost has sold, and is not going to be open anymore. There are plenty of great places around Cayo.

Louisville, Kentucky
reviews: 5
9. Re: Help with my Belize 13 Day Itinerary

Just got back from 10 days in San Ignacio and then Ambergis Caye. For ATM and cave tubing you will need a licensed guide. Contact Carlos Panti. He was amazing!! One day at ATM and half day at Cave tubing - carlos. caveguide@yahoo.com. He will pick you up and take you to both places. He is authentic, from the area, amazing knowledge, will know when to avoid the crowds, etc. A must go a must do. For water - we flew from Belize city to San Pedro (so I know nothing about the boat options) with Tropic Air. 20 minutes and it was a pretty flight. The Blue Hole is a two hour boat ride - seems like a bit schlep for snorkeling. Would suggest you contact Captain Carl imaginetoursbelize.com. He will pick you up, take you snorkeling (shark ray alley and Hol Chan). You will see turtles, rays sharks and schools of yellow tail snappers. Assuming you don't dive? Spent another day with Carl - fishing, beach barbeque, Caye Caulker, spear fishing (my son did this with him), lots of rum punch, could have snorkeled again, etc. Carl is the real deal. Loved listening to him speak Kreole with Leonard (first mate). Highly recommend.

Broken Arrow...
10. Re: Help with my Belize 13 Day Itinerary

Thanks so much for the advice on the guides. Very much appreciated :) No I don't dive it scares me actually. Do you mind if I ask where you stayed in San Ignacio and the Cayes? I was thinking to stay at Parrot Nest Lodge in San Ignacio and cant decide on where to stay in the Cayes. I don't want to spend a crazy amount of money on lodging as I would like to spend money on actual excursions instead.