We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car

Which San Ignacio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 2
Rental Car

Does it make sense to rent a car in Belize or take car services? We are landing in BZE on a Saturday - going to Black Rock until Wed then spending the night at another hotel in area and then back to the airport Thursday am. Is it nice to have a car to see the town and go out to eat?

Thanks!

San Ignacio, Belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Cayo
reviews: 235
1. Re: Rental Car

I'd recommend just renting a car in Cayo for a few days. Many tours provide transport. You'll love BRL. I have some friends staying and hiking all around there right now. If you wanted to come into town a lot the first few days, then maybe a car would be a good idea, but they are a little pricey.

San Ignacio, Belize
reviews: 20
2. Re: Rental Car

You do not need a car to explore the town. It is a small town, and you can walk around the areas where the restaurants, shops, and market are located.

Vancouver, Canada
3. Re: Rental Car

You can definitely get away with not renting a car, but when I went I rented one with Speedy Rental Cars and had a great time. I think you'll really enjoy Belize, such a majestic place!!

New York City, New...
4. Re: Rental Car

Thanks! I heard that it's hard to get into town from the hotel though (Black Rock). I'd love to check out some local restaurants so wasn't sure if it was worth it.....

San Ignacio, Belize
5. Re: Rental Car

Black Rock, like all jungle lodges, is remote, and for traveling from there to town would be costly, and you would need a car to get into town.

New York City, New...
6. Re: Rental Car

Thanks! Any experience with rental car companies near the airport that we could pick up? Is it necessarily to have an SUV or AWD?

San Ignacio, Belize
7. Re: Rental Car

I would recommend Crystal. Their vehicles are newer, and are well maintained.

San Ignacio, Belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Cayo
8. Re: Rental Car

You shouldn't need 4wd. Budget has a great rep, and they are at the airport.

New York City, New...
reviews: 1
9. Re: Rental Car

What is the website for Crystal? Thanks

San Ignacio, Belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Cayo
10. Re: Rental Car

http://www.crystal-belize.com/

It's a little...busy, haha.

Get answers to your questions about San Ignacio