We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chaa Creek and Ambergris Caye - Kids 4, 10, 13, 16

Which San Ignacio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Chaa Creek and Ambergris Caye - Kids 4, 10, 13, 16

We are heading to Chaa Creek for four nights, and then off to AC for 5 nights. As you can see, we have a pretty wide age range in our children, and are trying to figure out who can do what.

Can you recommend what tours / excursions would NOT be good for our little guy, so we can try to plan around those?

Also, when staying at Chaa are there restaurants to go to or do you just stay and eat on property?

Lastly, staying at the Phoenix in AC - any insight on good activities again, given the age range, would be very helpful. Also happy to take on restaurant recommendations here as well.

Thanks TA-ers.

reviews: 145
1. Re: Chaa Creek and Ambergris Caye - Kids 4, 10, 13, 16

I asked the same question in advance of our trip which included Chaa Creek and the answer is you will no doubt eat dinner every night at the hotel. After a day of touring or even doing nothing it is just too far on the dark road (and expensive) to go to San Ignacio to eat and honestly not that much there. If the weather had been better and we stayed longer I might have gone down the road (again car required) to Ka'ana a resort not too far away which is noted for their cuisine. The food at Chaa Creek is good with about 4 choices at night. If, for some reason, you don't like one of them just tell the concierge in advance and they will find something else. The menu is delivered to your villa and posted in advance of dinner. Maybe a lunch but thats it. The hotel concierge can set up trips and recommend activities but you might also want to consider doing a bit of research on prices with your large family. Pacz Tours in San Ignacio is a good place to check. I can't recommend much as when we were there it rained so much most tours did not go.

Edited: 9:12 am, February 04, 2013
Portland, Oregon
reviews: 15
2. Re: Chaa Creek and Ambergris Caye - Kids 4, 10, 13, 16

The distance to town from Chaa Creek is a hurdle for certain but we thought there were plenty of great kid friendly food options in San Ignacio and were really glad we stayed in town. Hode's Place had ok burgers but the draw was an orange grove set up for kids to play in. Lots of fun. The San Ignacio Resort has an iguana program tailored to kids, the food was fantastic and the restaurant balcony overlooks trees with toucans and other cool birds right there. And my daughter loved the Saturday market in town. So much to look at and then we got croissants at The French Bakery.

3. Re: Chaa Creek and Ambergris Caye - Kids 4, 10, 13, 16

The OP is staying at Chaa Creek so while there are some kid friendly options in/near town and might be good for lunch getting there at night unless you are staying in town is not that easy or cost efficient. Maybe OP has car and loves exploring..but if dependent on the hotel to get taxi etc. the trip cost will exceed the cost of any meal,

NY
4. Re: Chaa Creek and Ambergris Caye - Kids 4, 10, 13, 16

OP has no car and will be relying on taxis. I understand one can canoe into town for lunch etc, but surely this is not an option for dinner.

What is the cost for a taxi in and out of town?

5. Re: Chaa Creek and Ambergris Caye - Kids 4, 10, 13, 16

That price depends on who you talk to. Top reception quoted $35 each way (USD) concierge next to bar quoted $25 each way and called a driver for us. With six people I imagine you will need a van rather than small taxi like we took. Transportation and tours in Belize was very expensive. We tried to merge say a trip to town with an excursion to maya ruins etc. I got a driver I liked and just dealt with him directly. I overheard a family of 4 being told transfer to town was $50 each way. Yes you can canoe to town and from what I understand it is a long trip so guess it is good for people with experience.

NY
6. Re: Chaa Creek and Ambergris Caye - Kids 4, 10, 13, 16

thanks for the information - so it looks like dinner at chaa it is. no big deal.

7. Re: Chaa Creek and Ambergris Caye - Kids 4, 10, 13, 16

You will enjoy dinner there...nice setting. Sort of felt like I was at camp! Food much better than camp though.

reviews: 7
8. Re: Chaa Creek and Ambergris Caye - Kids 4, 10, 13, 16

Did you take your trip to Chaa Creek and Phoenix Resort? I am planning a trip in April and coincidentally, those are the two locations I have reserved. We are staying a total of 7 nights. Do you recommend 4 at Chaa Creek and 3 at Phoenix or other way around????

Pittsburgh...
9. Re: Chaa Creek and Ambergris Caye - Kids 4, 10, 13, 16

No tour is off limits to you child that is 4 years old. If you decide to do horseback riding you child that is 4 will rided with the guide. if you do zip lining and cave tubing you child goes with the guide. So there is nothing that you and your family can't do.

Same as in San Pedro nothing is off limit for you and your family. As for snorkeling I would best advise for your family to do a private charter as it would be just you and your family so you will have everything for yourselves. Be sure to have dinner at The Red Ginger at the Phoenix try the Run Glazed Banana they are to die for. The Blue Water Grill is also an exvellent place to have lunch or dinner. You can rent a gold cart also and explore the island also. You and your family will have a great time in Belize.

Matfield, United...
reviews: 1
10. Re: Chaa Creek and Ambergris Caye - Kids 4, 10, 13, 16

just returned from a week at Chaa Creek. What a fabulous place suitable for all ages. Plenty to do with the Bird walk, Medicine trail, Canoeing, horse riding. Loved the food and a wonderful pool to chill out in after a days activities. Staff very friendly and nothing is any trouble. Had three marvellous treatments in the SPA so returned home very relaxed. Robin and Teresa Wickham