We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Over night in Tikal- how do you get there from SI?

Which San Ignacio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
Over night in Tikal- how do you get there from SI?

The tour companies are so exp 400 US pp. I have found rooms available in the park but am now unsure about how to actual get there. We are a family of 4 (kids are 8,10) and want to make the travel as easy as possible.

Also i was surpirsed at how exp the Tikal inn was. $550! I thought it was more reasonable. We are looking at the jungle lodge instead.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 137
11. Re: Over night in Tikal- how do you get there from SI?

Could you stay the 1st night at the zoo, then head to Tikal for a night or 2, then spend 2 or 3 nights in SI and head to the airport?

Or fly from Ambergris or BC to Flores for Tikal, then head SI and zoo?

If you have an extra day in Guatemala you could spend it on the lake, maybe, or hiking in a reserve. Ixpanpajul is very cool - I loved the sky bridges there.

www.ixpanpajul.com

You could head from Tikal to BZE - it's about 5 hours; I wouldn't want to do that or have 2 different places to stay in SI, though.

Or you could really shake things up and choose the boat trip up the New River to Lamanai instead of Tikal - so many options!

Really any of your proposals would work, you just have to decide, reserve, and not doubt your decision. Figure that anything you leave out this trip is just an excuse to return. :-)

Palmer, Alaska
12. Re: Over night in Tikal- how do you get there from SI?

We booked a trip with Roxy on the advice of many TA contributors. It was wonderful. She picked us up at the border and took us to tour Yaxha. Then we overnighted at TI and did the sunrise tour with her. She drove us to Flores, Guat. She took us to get the teens new swim trunks, to a market to get tortillas and avacados, and then dropped us off at our hotel on Peten Itza.

I was travelling with my teenage boys that can be very picky. They loved everything we did in Belize and Guatemala. When we were in San Ignacio, they were over the moon when some rastas asked them to play drums with them. They loved the dinning options in San Ignacio.

Long answer short, I think whatever you decide, you'll have fun. There are no wrong answers.

Edited: 11:55 pm, December 02, 2012
Palmer, Alaska
13. Re: Over night in Tikal- how do you get there from SI?

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question. We took a taxi to the border where we met a guide. For the return, we took the nonstop bus from Flores to Belize City. We slept on and off during the bus ride to Belize City. Everyone on our little minibus was friendly. Although the bus was "nonstop" our driver would stop to buy things along the way with no annoucement. Everyone on the bus would just look around with a smile and a chuckle like, "what now?"

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
reviews: 72
14. Re: Over night in Tikal- how do you get there from SI?

mRsNatBug,

Thanks for the information about your excursion to Tikal and Flores. We are thinking of doing the same thing while in Belize this summer (SI to Yaxha to Tikal to Flores and then back to SI). How much did this all cost you? We don't want to do a full tour from Belize, but not sure about doing it all on our own. We will be traveling with our kids, who will be 10 and 13 at the time (but are very adventurous travellers already).

Thanks,

Jeff

15. Re: Over night in Tikal- how do you get there from SI?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, December 09, 2012
Hopkins
reviews: 1
16. Re: Over night in Tikal- how do you get there from SI?

I hate packing/unpacking and wasting vacation days with moving around if I don't have to, so: I would rather spend that extra day at Tikal or El Remate (is that what you mean by "by the lake"?) and include the zip line at Tikal. A night/sunrise tour at Tikal just naturally includes a lot of wildlife who live in the park.

NYC
17. Re: Over night in Tikal- how do you get there from SI?

Thank you all for your recommendations!

long beach
reviews: 4
18. Re: Over night in Tikal- how do you get there from SI?

I just read Roxy's reviews, and now want to go to Tikal! What is the best (easiest and most comfortable) way to get to Tikal--flying from Belize City, driving from San Ignacio, or being driven in a tour van? Thanks!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 137
19. Re: Over night in Tikal- how do you get there from SI?

I wouldn't recommend driving yourself but whether you hire a full tour, just transportation, or fly depends on the rest of your itinerary and your budget. It is possible to visit from western Belize as a day trip but I recommend spending at least a night in the park. Happy trails!

20. Re: Over night in Tikal- how do you get there from SI?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 27, 2014